New to pools need help

Jul 19, 2014
Pennsylvania
I purchased a pop up pool for my kid to start swimming in. 12 feet x 30 in deep. Wall skimmer with a filter pump. New to all of this but so far ph is 7.2 to 7.5 alkalinity 80 to 120, hardness 200, cya 30-50. Here is my problem/ question at night I do my chlorine 2/4 to 3/6 is what I get on hth 6 way test strip. Morning I test 2/4 by mid day fc is back to 0/0 what am I doing wrong or is this ok???

If you haven't added cyuranic acid your chlorine is being "eaten up" by the sun. Test strips are not adequately reliable. At a minimum you need a Drop tester that does PH and Chlorine. A Walmart 6 way drop test kit would be the next step up.

It's possible you could have other factors eating up your chlorine as well like algae or heavy load. But getting CYA in your pool to protect the chlorine is one of the first steps you should be making at setup / fill time.

- - - Updated - - -

If you go to the "pool school" section of the site you will find a load of helpful information.

There is a general guide to seasonal pools that would be of particular interest to you. Also you will find charts and recommendations for all your chemical needs. The pool math calculator is awesome as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.