Refilling my pebble tek pool.... Help with chemicals?

Jul 19, 2014
Manteca CA
Hello! We have had a yellow algae problem for months and after spending a ton of money on chemicals, we were told our water was "dead" and we needed to drain it. We pressure washed, sprayed with chlorine and are now ready to refill. I read something about "slamming" the pool to make sure algae is not in the lines or or filter. We have a sand filter and two golden retrievers that swim daily. Can someone give us basic directions to get the pool up and running? The last thing we need is to mess it up and end up with more algae. Any help is appreciated!!!

Jeff and Casey, thank you so much for the info! I've started going through it, but is there something I should put in by tomorrow as the pool fills? Also, we are putting our house up for sale right after the first of the year. In your opinions, by the time I purchase the proper test kit and the start up chems, would I be better off financially to hire a pool service until the house sells? It's a little daunting to go through the info, but I will do it and follow all the steps... Just want your opinions on whether it would be cheaper to hire a pool service? Thank you again for taking the time to help!

The bleach needs to be administered evenly throughout the pool by walking around the perimeter pouring it in. Then, you can get the brush and brush the floor and walls (up the the point that it is filled). I would also recommend pouring the chlorine in as the pool is being filled for better circulation. I'm not sure if there is any special procedure for pebble tek, but it is just an idea. Obviously, you are going to want to wait until the pool has a decent amount of water before just pouring chlorine straight in.

JM, I suspect you are correct. But after dumping a ridiculous amount of $$$ in chemicals with no success, we decided to cut our losses. So, our pool is about 2" from the skimmer, so we are almost there! So nice to see it blue again! We will backwash it as soon as it is full, and get some chlorine in it for now. I am hoping to be able to read the info Casey provided tonight. Our neighbor is telling my husband that we need "conditioner" in it today as well.... Thoughts?

911teri,

Honestly, a pool service company will probably wind up costing you a whole lot more $$$ than doing it yourself. That said, if you can't afford the time to care for the pool or will be away from it for long stretches, then a pool guy might help.

Just know that finding a good pool service professional who won't "kill" your water again (God! I just live that Pool Store nonsense) will be like finding a needle in a hay stack. Many of them are just guys with trucks and poles and only a cursory knowledge of pool care.

Hope your water stays perfect through your sale and closing ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.