Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Refilling my pebble tek pool.... Help with chemicals?

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Refilling my pebble tek pool.... Help with chemicals?

Hello! We have had a yellow algae problem for months and after spending a ton of money on chemicals, we were told our water was "dead" and we needed to drain it. We pressure washed, sprayed with chlorine and are now ready to refill. I read something about "slamming" the pool to make sure algae is not in the lines or or filter. We have a sand filter and two golden retrievers that swim daily. Can someone give us basic directions to get the pool up and running? The last thing we need is to mess it up and end up with more algae. Any help is appreciated!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Refilling my pebble tek pool.... Help with chemicals?

Welcome to TFP.

You need to start here:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Chlorine CYA Chart

Once you get through that, you will need to purchase a good reliable test kit so no one ever tells you that water is dead.
    Test Kit Comparison

Any questions should be asked so we can help you help yourself.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP !!
    Casey has given you good advice. Take the time and read the links and when you have questions don't hesitate to ask. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Jeff and Casey, thank you so much for the info! I've started going through it, but is there something I should put in by tomorrow as the pool fills? Also, we are putting our house up for sale right after the first of the year. In your opinions, by the time I purchase the proper test kit and the start up chems, would I be better off financially to hire a pool service until the house sells? It's a little daunting to go through the info, but I will do it and follow all the steps... Just want your opinions on whether it would be cheaper to hire a pool service? Thank you again for taking the time to help!

5. Back To Top    #5

You're going to want to get chlorine (bleach) in there. I'm not sure how you would go about mixing it without the filter, but I'm sure some of the experts here would be able to give you some ideas about that.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

The bleach needs to be administered evenly throughout the pool by walking around the perimeter pouring it in. Then, you can get the brush and brush the floor and walls (up the the point that it is filled). I would also recommend pouring the chlorine in as the pool is being filled for better circulation. I'm not sure if there is any special procedure for pebble tek, but it is just an idea. Obviously, you are going to want to wait until the pool has a decent amount of water before just pouring chlorine straight in.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

7. Back To Top    #7

hmmmm. Water has been on the earth for a few thousand years. How can you tell if it's dead? I suspect you were fed a line of *garbage* from a pool store.
    Last edited by Casey; 07-20-2014 at 05:10 AM. Reason: cursing
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

8. Back To Top    #8

JM, I suspect you are correct. But after dumping a ridiculous amount of $$$ in chemicals with no success, we decided to cut our losses. So, our pool is about 2" from the skimmer, so we are almost there! So nice to see it blue again! We will backwash it as soon as it is full, and get some chlorine in it for now. I am hoping to be able to read the info Casey provided tonight. Our neighbor is telling my husband that we need "conditioner" in it today as well.... Thoughts?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes you will need conditioner.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Refilling my pebble tek pool.... Help with chemicals?

911teri,

Honestly, a pool service company will probably wind up costing you a whole lot more $$$ than doing it yourself. That said, if you can't afford the time to care for the pool or will be away from it for long stretches, then a pool guy might help.

Just know that finding a good pool service professional who won't "kill" your water again (God! I just live that Pool Store nonsense) will be like finding a needle in a hay stack. Many of them are just guys with trucks and poles and only a cursory knowledge of pool care.

Hope your water stays perfect through your sale and closing