Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool acid: Home Depot vs Do-It Center.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool acid: Home Depot vs Do-It Center.

I am in the process of adding Sodium Borate to my pool water and needed a lot of pool Acid. I got some at Home Depot and more at Do-It Center. While in the process of applying, I noticed an astounding difference between acid from Home Depot and Do-It Center. Upon closer examination of the bottles it turns out that Home Depot's acid is 14% strength and Do-It Center is 29% strength. Moreover, Home Depot is $1.50 more expensive! So I was getting halve the volume at a higher price! Just thought you might want to know.
    One more tip. In my search for Borax I found two boxes at one Walmart and two boxes at another Walmart. I did not find it anywhere else. So I ordered bulk online from SoapGoods. With the cost of shipping, the price is about even but you don't have to run around.DSCF0546.jpgDSCF0545.jpg
    25yr old 15,000 gal, IG, Plaster/black onyx pebbles 2017, variable speed pump, DE filter Nautilus 50sqft, Spa,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool acid: Home Depot vs Do-It Center.

Home Depot is inconsistent, some stores have the stronger acid, some the weaker. It doesn't even correspond to what state they are in, or anything else obvious.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Home depot usually sells the acid in 2 places. The paint department the weaker and more expensive stuff and the outdoor garden has the stronger and cheaper and comes 2 gallons in a box. In florida about $12 for 2 gallons of the good stuff.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

In our HD it is the opposite. The pool section has the weak stuff ($9.99 for 2 gallons) and hardware section has the stronger stuff at $7.99/gallon. So now I get all my acid at Leslies which has a better price believe or not at $12.99 for 2 gallons.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    In our HD it is the opposite. The pool center has the weak stuff and hardware has the stronger stuff at about the same cost per gallon. So now I get all my acid at Leslies which has a better price believe or not.
    Same here. This is the one thing I buy at the pool store for the best deal I have found.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have an NPS (National Pool Supply) nearby they have the 20% for 2/6.98.... usually on sale or a coupon for 2/4.95

http://www.npspool.com/
    12k - free form - plaster- Nautilus fns48 DE filter- centurion 1hp (so quiet)- In floor cleaning system with Jandy Caretaker - TF-50 and 5 in 1 test kit, Phoenix, Az