Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well Water Reddish/Orange - Is that a problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Well Water Reddish/Orange - Is that a problem?

I plan to fill my new pool on Monday. It is an above ground pool. I will be using well water. We have a soft water system (culligan) but I am a little leery of running the water through the system. It does a "cleaning" every 1,000 gallons. I'm planning on bypassing the system and running straight, untreated, well water. Our water is REALLY bad in that it is reddish/orange. Is there a way to get that color out after filling the pool?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Well Water Reddish/Orange - Is that a problem?

It would be helpful if you would finish filling out your signature with your pool specs and the equipment you are using so we don't have to repeatedly ask for it. Our answers to you depend on it.
    What we need to know to answer your questions
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    It would be helpful if you would finish filling out your signature with your pool specs and the equipment you are using so we don't have to repeatedly ask for it. Our answers to you depend on it.
    What we need to know to answer your questions
    Sorry, must have missed that. My pool is an intex 15ft x 42" with blow up ring top. No frame. Is has the standard pump and cartridge filter that came with the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    Sorry, must have missed that. My pool is an intex 15ft x 42" with blow up ring top. No frame. Is has the standard pump and cartridge filter that came with the pool.
    My info is below in the signature. Hopefully.
    Intex 15 ft x 42" Above Ground Pool bought from Amazon (3, 284 gallons)
    Standard pump and cartridge filter that came with the set up (1,000 gph)
    I live in Northern, MN

5. Back To Top    #5

We have terrible well water as well. For top ups, etc. we use a PreFresh Filter that I ordered online from SpaDepot. No iron/rust insight. I am just not sure how a person knows when the filter is not longer useful?

6. Back To Top    #6

A sequesterant is going to be your ticket.

And your signature is showing up. Thank you.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PJBear View Post
    We have terrible well water as well. For top ups, etc. we use a PreFresh Filter that I ordered online from SpaDepot. No iron/rust insight. I am just not sure how a person knows when the filter is not longer useful?
    Is that the filter you put on the end of your garden hose to fill? Is this the link:
    http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Pre-Fre...r-P784C57.aspx
    I live in Northern, MN

8. Back To Top    #8

I have bad iron in my well water also. Not enough to turn the water brown out of the faucet, but enough to turn my pool brown when I top up a few inches. If you get that filter, be sure to let me know how it works. I have my doubts that it would help with my water at all.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

The Prefresh filter works extremely well! Our well water is bad and turns everything it touches red; doesn't look bad in a glass but add to a pool and you won't see the bottom pretty quickly. I picked up two of the PreFresh filters when I filled my pool this spring and was very surprised at how well they worked. They list an 8,000 gallon capacity; I didn't get that - probably closer to 2500 gallons, depends on the water quality going into the filter. I've used a product called 'Metal Magic' in the past, it worked well and is cheaper than the number of PreFresh Filters I needed for the spring fill. For top off's, I'll be using the PreFresh from now on.
    2013 21,500 Gal. 28' Round AB Doughboy
    DE Filter, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Solar & Rheem 400k heat

10. Back To Top    #10

We have suspended iron in ours and luckily the sand filter takes it all out in less than 2 days on a fresh fill. With the old filter cartridge setup it was taking me a full week, cleaning the filters every few hours. They were caked in rust, was a terrible job.
    Then I found my neighbor has used the filter that goes on the end of the hose, with great results.

Best $150 I ever spent was for a sand filter though, solves tons of issues.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum

Is that the filter you put on the end of your garden hose to fill? Is this the link:
    http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Pre-Fre...r-P784C57.aspx
    Yes that is the one I use for my Spa. My water doesn't look bad in the pool but due to the heat it does get a bronze tint in my spa without using a filter. Search around as the prices can very quite a bit. Last time I bought them I think a place selling a two pack had the best price but I don't remember who off hand.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Intex 16'x48" Ultra Frame
    Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System
    Taylor K-2006

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Iron in your pool water is problematic. There is no guarantee that anything will "fix" it.

When you see iron in water, it is because it has precipitated into a solid form, meaning your pool is saturated and can hold no more iron in invisible form.

When you apply a sequestrant, it returns the iron back to a soluble state but the iron is still in your pool.....you just can't see it now.

Filters typically don't have much affect as most cannot get the soluble iron from you water.....not in the capacity required.

Each pool is different but iron in pool water will always be a problem until you can find a way to remove it and keep it removed (i.e. stop using your fill water source.)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

i have filled my pool 4 times with 10,000 gallons. The first time i bypassed my system and had to fight the water for a week.
    The next 3 times i did run the water threw my system but i took my time. I would fill for about 6 to 8 hours and then backwash my system and then continue filling.

I will tell you it was worth the extra time it took to fill versus fighting my untreated water from my well.

Good Luck.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysnok View Post
    i have filled my pool 4 times with 10,000 gallons. The first time i bypassed my system and had to fight the water for a week.
    The next 3 times i did run the water threw my system but i took my time. I would fill for about 6 to 8 hours and then backwash my system and then continue filling.

I will tell you it was worth the extra time it took to fill versus fighting my untreated water from my well.

Good Luck.
    That is what I plan to do. My system is good for 1,000 gallons before it needs to be backwashed (regenerated). Regeneration takes about an hour or so. Did you treat the water in the pool with chemicals between fills or wait until it was full?
    I live in Northern, MN

16. Back To Top    #16

That is what I plan to do. My system is good for 1,000 gallons before it needs to be backwashed (regenerated). Regeneration takes about an hour or so. Did you treat the water in the pool with chemicals between fills or wait until it was full?
    Only after my pool was filled did i do any testing.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube