Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool cloudy water.

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool cloudy water.

Hello,
    First post and first pool. The pool has been operating since 7/4/14. Now I have cloudy water. The following are my test results from (K-2005)
    pH 7.6
    TA 320
    CH 40
    FC 10
    TC 7.5
    CC -2.5 ??????
    CYA 90

Thanks
    Brad

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool cloudy water.

Welcome to TFP! Home of pool knowledge to take control of your own pool! To learn what's in your pool water, what you need to add, and why you are adding it.

So let's get to learning....

First off, this tutorial will get you to speaking the language.

Then you should visit Pool School's ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

A very important part of keeping a sanitized, sparkly pool is understanding the CYA/Chlorine relationship chart.

After that, you should visit this little chlorine instructional class. to learn that all chlorine is not created equal.

Ever heard of SLAM??? I'm sure you've heard of "shocking" your pool and many people kinda think they are the same thing but they are NOT. A shock is a one time thing and usually doesn't completely clear up your problems. A SLAM is a process and when followed to a T will result in a crystal clear swimming hole! How to SLAM

Read it....then read it again. Eventually, it will start to make sense. There are tons of people here willing to help clear matters up if you are willing to learn and follow the TFP methods.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Your TA is very high. That could be a problem with static electricity when doing the TA test. Try wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth/tissue at the start of the test and every couple of drops.

TC = FC + CC, so CC is 2.5. However, you are right at the limit of what the DPD chlorine test can measure, so it could well be testing error. Basically, the DPD chlorine test is limited to measuring up to 10. If TC was actually higher then ten, and it should be, it could read as just about anything. This is part of why we recommend the FAS-DPD chlorine test so strongly. You can get the FAS-DPD chlorine test separately, as an add on to your existing kit.

CYA of 90 is higher than we recommend allowing CYA to get. This could well relate to the water being cloudy, though there are other problems. CYA at 90 makes fighting algae very difficult. Unless you have a SWG, I recommend water replacement to get CYA down to something more manageable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a SWG.

26,000 gal vinyl IG 18x36/sand Filter/1.5 hp pump/ SWG/ 3 deck jets/ 1 skimmer/ 3 returns/intellibrite 5g light
    26,000 gal vinyl IG 18x36/sand Filter/1.5 hp pump/ SWG/ 3 deck jets/ 1 skimmer/ 3 returns/intellibrite 5g light

5. Back To Top    #5

With a SWG, CYA is a little high, but you might as well live with it.

A SWG makes lowering TA more important, unless the TA result is way off.

Could you describe "cloudy" in more detail? White, gray, green? How opaque? Anything else strike you about it?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

And you know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. If you can take pictures of your pool and post them here, it might make it easier for the experts to help you.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

7. Back To Top    #7

I use postimage.org

Welcome to TFP. You've got enough in front of you for now.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

image.jpgimage.jpgHere are the pictures. Last week you could see the definition of the liner in the deep end.

9. Back To Top    #9

One moreimage.jpg

10. Back To Top    #10

TA down to 290

11. Back To Top    #11

Had my water tested today AT the pool store. My cya test (90) conflicts with theirs (32) whose should I trust. Btw i use a k-2005. I still have cloudy water I the deep end

Thanks
    Brad

12. Back To Top    #12

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Trust your own reading. CYA is the reading that pool stores get wrong the most.

With a K-2005 and cloudy water, we would recommend a standalone FAS-DPD test to get the equivalent of the K-2006 and to SLAM the pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

What she said. I trust my own readings over the pool stores any day.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok the water is still cloudy (dull) in The deep end of the pool. Any ideas?
    Current test results:
    FC 5
    TC 5
    Ch 60
    TA 220
    Cya 65
    Ph 7.6

Thanks
    Bb

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail K View Post
    With a K-2005 and cloudy water, we would recommend a standalone FAS-DPD test to get the equivalent of the K-2006 and to SLAM the pool.
    That sounds like a good recommendation to try and clear up the cloudiness.

Did you take the time to read the information in the links suggested in post #2 ??

I'm just a little baffled at your pool testing numbers as two days ago you said your testing had CYA at 90 and now you tested it at 65 but nothing is mentioned as to you doing anything to lower it.
    Same with TA as it's dropped 100 since the 19th but nothing is mentioned about you lowering it either.
    You have a SWG but no mention of salt level in your pool.
    New pool and first pool, what do "they" have you using for chlorine, adding algaecide, ??? Need to know what it is you are putting into it.

If you stand at the steps and take a picture down into the pool it's helpful in that the steps add a reference for clarity and distance.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    That sounds like a good recommendation to try and clear up the cloudiness.

Did you take the time to read the information in the links suggested in post #2 ??

I'm just a little baffled at your pool testing numbers as two days ago you said your testing had CYA at 90 and now you tested it at 65 but nothing is mentioned as to you doing anything to lower it.
    Same with TA as it's dropped 100 since the 19th but nothing is mentioned about you lowering it either.
    You have a SWG but no mention of salt level in your pool.
    New pool and first pool, what do "they" have you using for chlorine, adding algaecide, ??? Need to know what it is you are putting into it.

If you stand at the steps and take a picture down into the pool it's helpful in that the steps add a reference for clarity and distance.

Yes I read the info linked in post 2

The cya is an avg of the 3 test is have had done at 3 different pool stores. Since theirs were lower # than mine.
    The TA is lower due to bombing the ph from 7.6-7.8 to 7.2 with muriatic acid and aerating back up to 7.6-7.8 multiple times.
    Salt level is 3100-3200 ppm
    I am not adding any other chlorine, algeacide, or clarifiers.
    I will post additional Picts this evening
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Tonight's test
    Fc5
    Tc5
    Ta220
    Ph 7.2 currently aerating to increase
    Cya 90 I can't get close to the pool stores number

Still very dull looking water

Thanks
    BB

17. Back To Top    #17

still lowering TA just dumped in acid to take ph from 7.8 to 7.2. Water is still dull

18. Back To Top    #18

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

I would advise getting the pH in range and then SLAMing, and then worry about TA after SLAM is complete.