Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump ran with valves closed

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump ran with valves closed

Hi, when I add chlorine to the tank, I have to close the valve between the pump and filter and the one between the chlorine tank and return. I forgot to open them back up an the pump ran for a day and a half like that. The pump didn't dry out or even seem to overheat. Should I worry? Everything seems to be fine but just wanted to be sure, thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump ran with valves closed

If you don't have any obvious leaks and the pump is working correctly with the valves open, then you got lucky and everything will be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks - just some more info - it's a two speed pump and was running on low. I just wasn't sure if it was making the motor work harder trying to push the water back into the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, No damage? With that kind of luck You should rush out and get a lottery ticket.
    17500 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 7 Grandaughters and 1 Grandson swimming every week WooooHooo!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Running on low is probably what saved you.

14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG