Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sediment Comes Back After Vacuuming

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Sediment Comes Back After Vacuuming

18ft Above Ground Pool. Salt Water. Chemicals are perfect.
    I am left with sediment on the bottom of my pool. I vacuum it up, it looks all clean, and then it returns after about 2 hours. As a possible solution - I have opened up the sand filter and cleaned/mixed up the sand. I cleaned it by mixing it all up, and then spraying it with a hose and then backwashing it.
    The sediment still returns. It is very fine and almost like a dust. If you gently wave your hand by it, it will disperse.
    My next thought is to replace the sand.
    Does anyone have any other ideas?

pool.jpg
    http://1drv.ms/1wJ5RY8

2. Back To Top    #2

Sediment Comes Back After Vacuuming

Do you have one of the recommended test kits?

Please post a full set of test results.

Also, please update your signature with your pool information so we know what type of equipment you are working with.

Fine sediment sounds like you are on the verge of an algae outbreak. Pool stores are always recommending sand be changed when it rarely, if ever, needs to be. I've owned my current home for 14 years and I've never changed the sand in my filter.
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sediment Comes Back After Vacuuming

Try putting a stocking over the return jet. If dust/debris accumulates in the stocking then something is wrong with your filter. But if the stocking remains clean then it is coming from somewhere else.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I get the same exact thing. But mine looks a lot worse. I did a stocking over the return jet and did catch some gunk. Not a ton, but stuff that I would have thought would have been caught by the filter. I have a cartridge filter, though. Not sand.

Probably time to change the cartridge even though I've never had a problem with the pressure, etc. I've cleaned the cartridge a couple of times but I still seem to have the same problem.

24 ft. above ground pool, 13,500 gallons, installed summer 2013
    Cartridge Filter, Hayward 1.5 HP Power-Flo LX pump
    Main drain
    5 happy swimming children
    NW Indiana

5. Back To Top    #5

That small amount of particulate happens. I could be stuff that was stirred up while you were vacuuming, and then settled back in.

I have a fine dust problem with my pool, also. My dogs love the pool, and drag in some, and I have trees overhanging the pool. I think the trees are contributing more than the dogs, because the leaves collect dust from the air, and that drops into the pool. Daily vacuuming is the norm for me.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I also have trees. Just seems no matter what I do it comes back even worse the next couple of days.

Main drain
    NW Indiana

7. Back To Top    #7

Mine gets worse when we have higher than normal winds, that is why I'm thinking it's airborne dust filtered by the trees.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

to the OP mine looks eerily similar.

Main drain
    NW Indiana

9. Back To Top    #9

Fine sediment issues here as well. More so when it's hot, dry and windy for long periods and dust is blowing around. But my remedy is to mix a little DE with some water and pour it in the skimmer before hooking up the vacuum hose. Just gives the sand filter an extra edge at capturing the extra fine silt. Not that it won't be back on the bottom the next day but I think it does help.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine does that when I vacuum too quickly. I don't think I have quite enough suction to vacuum very well, but if I go slow it makes a world of difference. Often it seems I have to vacuum one day, let it settle then vacuum the next day to get the rest, that mostly takes care of it for me.
    16x48 Intex Ultra Frame/ 1600 gph Pump sand filter SWG combo/ Ultra tools Widemouth Skimmer/ Using BBB method

11. Back To Top    #11

Same here!
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, I resorted to chenging up my sand. I vacuumed it all out and then noticed that the Lateral Assembly Pipe had a crack in it. The base also had some hairline cracks.
    I'm trying to find a replacement part, but I cannot make out the model # of my filter. Here are some pics. The closest I can get is this, http://www.hayward-pool.ca/pdf/manua...0T-SM1900T.pdf but it is not identical to my ***-174T model #.
    Can anyone else figure out what model I have? It's a Pool Filter Hayward Sand Master High Rate Sand Filter ***-174t
    My next step is to replace the Lateral Assembly and Pipe (they are joined together) and fill it up with new sand (I have purchased 100 lbs new High Rate Sand No. 20 Silica Sand (.45mm - .55mm))
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

filter pic
    Hayward Sand Master High Rate Sand Filter ***-174t

ARGHHH - can't post a pic - over quota!

14. Back To Top    #14

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

You would need to follow instructions in this thread on how to post pictures.

15. Back To Top    #15

Here a pic of my filter. Can anyone figure out what the full model # is? I can't find it on Google.
    2014-07-21T19-39-52_0 (Small).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail K View Post
    You would need to follow instructions in this thread on how to post pictures.
    thx - freed up some space.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by ronatola View Post
    Google is your friend!

I'll bet it's this one:
    http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/SandMaster-SM1700T-SM1900T.pdf

Can't explain the difference in model numbers.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm a total newb... so you can take my advice with a grain of salt, or sediment, or whatever...
    This is something that I struggled with, and came up with a 'helpful' solution.
    I simply use a lady's (or men's, doesn't matter) trouser sock INSTEAD of the vacuum pouch thing that the vacuum came with.
    The fine sieve of the sock lets a considerably smaller amount of sediment through than the original pouch.

Also, my sand pump has a backwash setting, and it lets a lot of that sediment out the back door (I run a backwash every couple weeks). Do you know if your system has a backwash?

18. Back To Top    #18

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78 View Post
    Google is your friend!

I'll bet it's this one:
    http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/SandMaster-SM1700T-SM1900T.pdf

Can't explain the difference in model numbers.
    I already Googled and posted that link 4 posts ago in post #12 above.

19. Back To Top    #19

Well, I couldn't find the correct lateral assembly part, so I just ordered a new filter.
    I will update later with the results.
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20. Back To Top    #20

I finally said screw it and bought a new cartridge for my filter. When I opened up the cartridge it was a dirty swampy mess in there. Clearly (to me) the filter wasn't doing its job. Vacuuming now. We'll see if it lasts or the crud returns.
    Main drain
    NW Indiana