How Long SHOULD Chlorine Last?

Alright, that sounds good for me. I usually add enough to bring it up to 10+ ppm, then the next day it is at 5ppm, then at 1ppm the following. I was thinking it was supposed to be added weekly, and I was worried mine was being eaten to fast. I guess that's good news for me.

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll have to put less in at one given time, and more often.

Since no one pointed it out, this is seasonal. While it depends on your pool, especially how much sun it gets, daily additions are probably only needed during the summer. And even now, I sometimes skip a day, but only if my test says the clouds protected my chlorine. I might skip testing and just had a half jug of bleach, because that's what I need most days, but then I always test the next day to be sure. Basically, when the sun is this high, I do something every day. It only takes a couple minutes and it's warm enough to swim, so I don't mind. It's like feeding a pet.

In the middle of winter, when it is colder and cloudy and the sun wouldn't get high enough over the trees to directly shine in the pool anyway, I only test and add twice a week. I could probably get by with once, but why push it?

My chlorine right now is at 10+ ppm, but it should go down soon, because its 90 degrees right now, and super sunny. I guess I'll have to keep testing and see when my chlorine goes down, so I can get into this new routine.

Also, Austin, by "jug", do you mean the size of store bleach, or the 2.5 gallons of chlorine offered by pool stores. I'm just curious as to how much others pour in per day.

What is your CYA level? Did you test it yourself? From what I have read on here 4 ppm a day isn't unusual if you get a lot of sun. Bather loads and how much leaves and such drkp into your pool are also factors. I am at close to 2 ppm in Cenrtal Fl, but I get a good amount of shade and have a low bather load

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the middle of winter, when it is colder and cloudy and the sun wouldn't get high enough over the trees to directly shine in the pool anyway, I only test and add twice a week. I could probably get by with once, but why push it?
I never add chlorine in the winter either, but my pool is a 20,000 gallon block of ice during winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.