Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Long SHOULD Chlorine Last?

1. Back To Top    #1

How Long SHOULD Chlorine Last?

I usually have to add more liquid chlorine to my pool every 3 days. With the proper level of CYA, how long should chlorine stay in the water? I like in Florida, but we usually raise our CYA up anyway.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Long SHOULD Chlorine Last?

Most people add chlorine daily.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I add liquid chlorine daily. My pool usually averages a 2-2.5 loss on any given day. I add it at night before I go to work so it's good to go for the next day.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

Alright, that sounds good for me. I usually add enough to bring it up to 10+ ppm, then the next day it is at 5ppm, then at 1ppm the following. I was thinking it was supposed to be added weekly, and I was worried mine was being eaten to fast. I guess that's good news for me.

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll have to put less in at one given time, and more often.
    Bobby (my pool)
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm in SoFla and I loose about 2-3 ppm FC with my CYA level at 40. But then I get early morning and late afternoon shade, which may help to cut down loss.
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

prior 17k gal. vinyl, Sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

1ppm is way too low. You need to keep it above the minimum for your CYA level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, that is too low. I'm going to start adding daily now.
    Bobby (my pool)

8. Back To Top    #8

Since no one pointed it out, this is seasonal. While it depends on your pool, especially how much sun it gets, daily additions are probably only needed during the summer. And even now, I sometimes skip a day, but only if my test says the clouds protected my chlorine. I might skip testing and just had a half jug of bleach, because that's what I need most days, but then I always test the next day to be sure. Basically, when the sun is this high, I do something every day. It only takes a couple minutes and it's warm enough to swim, so I don't mind. It's like feeding a pet.

In the middle of winter, when it is colder and cloudy and the sun wouldn't get high enough over the trees to directly shine in the pool anyway, I only test and add twice a week. I could probably get by with once, but why push it?
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

9. Back To Top    #9

My chlorine right now is at 10+ ppm, but it should go down soon, because its 90 degrees right now, and super sunny. I guess I'll have to keep testing and see when my chlorine goes down, so I can get into this new routine.

Also, Austin, by "jug", do you mean the size of store bleach, or the 2.5 gallons of chlorine offered by pool stores. I'm just curious as to how much others pour in per day.
    Bobby (my pool)

10. Back To Top    #10

What is your CYA level? Did you test it yourself? From what I have read on here 4 ppm a day isn't unusual if you get a lot of sun. Bather loads and how much leaves and such drkp into your pool are also factors. I am at close to 2 ppm in Cenrtal Fl, but I get a good amount of shade and have a low bather load
    22,000 gallon in ground, gunite, Hayward pump 1.5 hp and 36sq DE filter. Pool installation date unknown, at least 10 years. Screened enclosure.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by SwimAustin View Post
    In the middle of winter, when it is colder and cloudy and the sun wouldn't get high enough over the trees to directly shine in the pool anyway, I only test and add twice a week. I could probably get by with once, but why push it?
    I never add chlorine in the winter either, but my pool is a 20,000 gallon block of ice during winter.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels