Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater Buzzes

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater Buzzes

I have a Raypak RP2100 heater that buzzes when the pool pump isn't running. It could have been doing it for a while but recently I installed an Intelliflo VS pump so now that it so quiet I hear the heater. I wired the pump up and removed the start/stops on the clock timer so that the pump is always powered, then I use the timer on the pump to run it. Since I did this, I noticed the loud buzzing from the heater. As long as the power is on to the heater it buzzes. Kind of weird now because it is louder than the pump when it is running. The heater still works fine but it sounds like a loud transformer or something, but I'm no electrician. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Heater Buzzes

I would have to guess a bad transformer.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of timer do you have? Does your heater get wired to the timer for power? For my setup, the timer always has power (otherwise it wouldn't keep track of time and would never know when to turn on/off). The heater gets power from that. However, it only gets turned on when the system gets turned on (either manually or by the automatic start clip on my timer). Each time the system gets turned on, the pump starts flowing, the heater turns on and display lights up, and my SWG starts up and begins generating chlorine.

So just because you've taken the start/stop off of the clock timer doesn't necessarily indicate whether your heater has power full time or not. Does the heater have a display? Is it giving you a readout while the pump/flow is off, or only when you turn it on? Does it indicate any kind of error while it is actually heating or while it sits at rest?

If you put your setup in your signature (equipment, type of pool, size of pool, etc), it would help in the future for questions like these.
    33,000 gallon gunite pool and Spa (in ground), SWG
    Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Filter (300 Sq. Foot cartridge filter)
    Jandy Lite2 Natural Gas Pool and Spa Heater

Maryland, USA

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Open the front of the unit to get to where the transformer is. Then turn the unit on and listen to where the sound comes from.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,