Heater Buzzes

Ctxman

Jul 9, 2014
Thousand Oaks CA
I have a Raypak RP2100 heater that buzzes when the pool pump isn't running. It could have been doing it for a while but recently I installed an Intelliflo VS pump so now that it so quiet I hear the heater. I wired the pump up and removed the start/stops on the clock timer so that the pump is always powered, then I use the timer on the pump to run it. Since I did this, I noticed the loud buzzing from the heater. As long as the power is on to the heater it buzzes. Kind of weird now because it is louder than the pump when it is running. The heater still works fine but it sounds like a loud transformer or something, but I'm no electrician. Any ideas?

Thanks!

What kind of timer do you have? Does your heater get wired to the timer for power? For my setup, the timer always has power (otherwise it wouldn't keep track of time and would never know when to turn on/off). The heater gets power from that. However, it only gets turned on when the system gets turned on (either manually or by the automatic start clip on my timer). Each time the system gets turned on, the pump starts flowing, the heater turns on and display lights up, and my SWG starts up and begins generating chlorine.

So just because you've taken the start/stop off of the clock timer doesn't necessarily indicate whether your heater has power full time or not. Does the heater have a display? Is it giving you a readout while the pump/flow is off, or only when you turn it on? Does it indicate any kind of error while it is actually heating or while it sits at rest?

If you put your setup in your signature (equipment, type of pool, size of pool, etc), it would help in the future for questions like these.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.