Anybody else hate their Legend II ?

rkgdmd

Nov 25, 2007
Rockland County, NY
I know I hear nothing but good things about this pool cleaner, but it's driving me nuts. I find that it spends most of it's time trapped in one corner of the pool. The back up valve functions yet does not always pull it out of this corner. The RPM's are correct and I have adjusted the jets on the back in about every conceivable direction, but no luck. My pool is an IG vinyl liner that has some sharp internal line angles which I think is not helping...no smooth round corners and edges to deflect it . I'm beginning to worry that it may damage the liner as it stays in one place so long. Any ideas..or is the shape of my pool the problem? Thanks.

Rob

Try this to verify that BOTH front wheels are properly engaged in the drive mechanism. With the Legend out of the water, when you turn ONE of the front wheels, does the opposite one turn? If it does, but when you try to hold that OPPISITE turning wheel, do the gears slip or does the wheel you currently turning also stop? While turning one wheel you should be able to feel force on the opposite wheel with NO gear slippage. Legend drive gears can get out of adjustment. If they are, by removing the bottom screws, you can easily remove the cover and re-adjust the drive gear over both wheels.

Are you using a booster pump? When the back up valve engages about every three minutes or so, it should cause the Legend to tip slightly on its side so that a wheel can pull it around out of the side or corner.

I also have an IG vinyl, with 90 degree angles in the shallow end as you describe. The longest mine stays (when properly adjusted as above) is one cycle before the back up valve switches on. For the most part it can free itself from any corner/angle/side.

Good luck!

Hi Hodapmj,

My version of the Legend requires no booster pump...but maybe that's part of the problem? I checked the the front wheels like you asked, and both seemed to be fully engaged with the gears...when you turn one wheel, the opposite wheel turns without any slippage. I did notice the cleaner tipping like you describe when the back up valve is working, yet it doesn't seem to be enough to get it out of this corner. Frustrating..... Can these cleaners damage the liner if they stay in one place too long? Thanks again

Rob

No, the wheels spinning on your vinyl should not do any damage. The tread on the Legend can easily wear down spinning on the vinyl. Are your front tires completely bald? They can easily be pulled off and "rotated" to the back. Has the cleaner always performed in this manner or has it recently started? You may want to play more with the jets. I have found I get better climb out of the Legend if I have the jets pointing up, thereby keeping the front wheels "lighter" than the back.

So glad I found this post. Mine is crapping out too. It is not running very fas, almost seems to be floating more then wheels running on the surface and stopped climbing up the walls or on the stairs. It just sits against the wall, not even trying. I just got done checking my booster (it's working), flushed out the line to make sure no trapped air, checked hose for air leaks. I am going to have hubby do as ya'll mentioned above. It's about 14m old and we rotated the wheels a couple months ago when we were having issues. ACK! I hate trouble shooting ;).

Hey Hodapmj,

The pool cleaner is brand new....as is the pool. The tires don't have any "tread"...but then again they never did. Basically, they have a smooth, flat surface. The edge of the wheel is square...in other words, the edges don't appear to be rounded off or worn. As a matter of fact, they look nearly identical to the non driven rear wheels so I don't think wear is an issue here. I will try your suggestion of aiming the jets upward, but I think I probably already gave that a go. :hammer: Ahhh...the joys of pool ownership. Thanks for the help.

Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.