Is there a pump that will completely drain my pool instead of leaving 1 foot of water

Pool = In-ground, average size, sand filter, max depth 8 feet, main drain at deepest point

I'm draining my pool, but when I get to about 1 foot of water left at the bottom, the pump seems to be unable to draw it out.
I'd like to avoid using a sump pump to get the remaining water out.
Thanks in advance.

A submersible pump is probably the only way to do it effectively. Most pool pumps will lose prime before getting to that depth. The problem is that the suction head gets quite high and if the seals in the pump basket, drain plugs, valves are not in perfect working condition, then air tends to leak into the pump and eventually it will lose prime. And then it is nearly impossible to re-prime.

A submersible pump is probably the only way to do it effectively. Most pool pumps will lose prime before getting to that depth. The problem is that the suction head gets quite high and if the seals in the pump basket, drain plugs, valves are not in perfect working condition, then air tends to leak into the pump and eventually it will lose prime. And then it is nearly impossible to re-prime.

Second that! They can be found pretty cheap ($50-60) at Walmart, Menards, etc.

Why do you NOT want to use a sump pump? It's the perfect solution to your problem.

I'm doing a lot of construction in the back yard. That, plus leaves clogs up little pumps. It would have been nice to send everything out through the bigger pvc pipes of the main drain.
The pool is kept empty to make cleaning it easier in the meantime by sweeping for example.
Thanks all.

The main drain has a cover doesn't it? Most will not allow leaves to go through anyway and they too will easily get clogged. Best thing is to remove the leaves and dirt first and then pump out the water.

Another for sump pump - I have a $80 (Home Depot; ebay undoubtedly cheaper) Flotec whic will easily run a 2" discharge hose (but NOT 1 1/2" PVC - too much friction) from the bottom of a 8' inground.
It had little feet a bit over an inch high - leaving that much water (to keep larger crud out of the pump). A hacksaw and 5 minutes, and it now drains to 1/2". A wet-dry vac does a good job on that last 1/2". What is doesn't get, a bucket, and, finally, a mutilated milk jug as a scoop gets if pretty much ready to towel dry if you're re-plastering.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.