Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there a pump that will completely drain my pool instead of leaving 1 foot of water

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there a pump that will completely drain my pool instead of leaving 1 foot of water

Pool = In-ground, average size, sand filter, max depth 8 feet, main drain at deepest point

I'm draining my pool, but when I get to about 1 foot of water left at the bottom, the pump seems to be unable to draw it out.
    I'd like to avoid using a sump pump to get the remaining water out.
    Thanks in advance.
    In-Ground 15,000 gallon pool
    Sand Filter
    Dead / Humming Pump (Capacitor Rated 161-193 and test revealed 164 ...so on the low side, Contacts all cleaned, still not working)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there a pump that will completely drain my pool instead of leaving 1 foot of w

A submersible pump is probably the only way to do it effectively. Most pool pumps will lose prime before getting to that depth. The problem is that the suction head gets quite high and if the seals in the pump basket, drain plugs, valves are not in perfect working condition, then air tends to leak into the pump and eventually it will lose prime. And then it is nearly impossible to re-prime.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is there a pump that will completely drain my pool instead of leaving 1 foot of w

Buckets.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    A submersible pump is probably the only way to do it effectively. Most pool pumps will lose prime before getting to that depth. The problem is that the suction head gets quite high and if the seals in the pump basket, drain plugs, valves are not in perfect working condition, then air tends to leak into the pump and eventually it will lose prime. And then it is nearly impossible to re-prime.
    Second that! They can be found pretty cheap ($50-60) at Walmart, Menards, etc.
    16 x 32 inground vinyl pool (21000 gallons) (new liner installed 2014)
    Hayward max flo pump w/ 1 HP AO Smith motor (new motor 2014)
    Hayward C1200 cartridge filter (new 2014)
    Hayward H150 heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Why do you NOT want to use a sump pump? It's the perfect solution to your problem.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Bigger question to me is why do you want to completely drain your pool?
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
    Why do you NOT want to use a sump pump? It's the perfect solution to your problem.
    I'm doing a lot of construction in the back yard. That, plus leaves clogs up little pumps. It would have been nice to send everything out through the bigger pvc pipes of the main drain.
    The pool is kept empty to make cleaning it easier in the meantime by sweeping for example.
    Thanks all.
    In-Ground 15,000 gallon pool
    Sand Filter
    Dead / Humming Pump (Capacitor Rated 161-193 and test revealed 164 ...so on the low side, Contacts all cleaned, still not working)

8. Back To Top    #8

The main drain has a cover doesn't it? Most will not allow leaves to go through anyway and they too will easily get clogged. Best thing is to remove the leaves and dirt first and then pump out the water.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

This: https://www.waynepumps.com/product-s...sible/eeaup250

I bought mine mail order for pretty cheap. Auto on-off, big 1 1/4" discharge hose, works awesome.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

10. Back To Top    #10

Another for sump pump - I have a $80 (Home Depot; ebay undoubtedly cheaper) Flotec whic will easily run a 2" discharge hose (but NOT 1 1/2" PVC - too much friction) from the bottom of a 8' inground.
    It had little feet a bit over an inch high - leaving that much water (to keep larger crud out of the pump). A hacksaw and 5 minutes, and it now drains to 1/2". A wet-dry vac does a good job on that last 1/2". What is doesn't get, a bucket, and, finally, a mutilated milk jug as a scoop gets if pretty much ready to towel dry if you're re-plastering.
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.