Help!! Pool is green and my numbers are out of control!!

Ok pucks are out but i have used this inline chlorinator for atleast 6 years now with tri- chlor.... Cya never got out of control. I did have to add water frequently due to volume loss so maybe that kept my cya level lower.
I added the green to blue 1 (cal hypo) by dilssolving in water and then adding to pool. I added green to blue 2 (flocculant) thru skimmer per directions. It was a brown powder that looked like dirt.

Now when I scrub the liner with a brush it doesn't come off.

You may be OK with using tablets but right now with the results from the strips it's pretty high and the higher it is the more bleach you need to do the same job. So to SLAM or shock it will cost you more in bleach for the higher CYA level. The lower the CYA the less bleach you need to successfully complete the SLAM - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Did you let the G to B II settle overnight and then vacuum it to waste ?? There shouldn't be anything sitting on the bottom of your liner to stain it ??
Did you follow the directions ?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUrS_nTOBAs

Yes I read pool school and understand the chlorine to cya ratios. Pucks are out so only thing going into pool right now is liquid chlorine. I followed the directions to a "t" for green to blue and watched the YouTube video before administering to the pool. I will try the vitamin c test and the tri-chlor puck test.

Test kit should be here sometime in the next few hours so I'm eager to test and get started.

Ok so here are my results

FC 20
CC 0
TA 160
pH < 7.0 ( was hard to tell)
hardness 170
CYA 40

Pool water is still tinged slightly green but water is clear... Could this be metal? I really don't know where it could have come from.

Try looking at some of the water in a container. Either a white container or a clear container and look against a white background.

Ok so pool is continuing to lighten up ... It's less green everyday. I looked at water through clear container and compared to a white background. It looks clear with maybe a slight tinge of green or yellow but my eyes might be playing tricks on me. All I have been doing for the last few days is running the pump and back washing. I stopped adding any chemicals because everything tested fine except chlorine reading was so high. This morning the FC WAS 23... I must have been off on testing yesterday because it read an FC of 20 last night. There is a little bit of black brown precipitate at the bottom... What do you all think?

Ok so pool is continuing to lighten up ... It's less green everyday. I looked at water through clear container and compared to a white background. It looks clear with maybe a slight tinge of green or yellow but my eyes might be playing tricks on me. All I have been doing for the last few days is running the pump and back washing. I stopped adding any chemicals because everything tested fine except chlorine reading was so high. This morning the FC WAS 23... I must have been off on testing yesterday because it read an FC of 20 last night. There is a little bit of black brown precipitate at the bottom... What do you all think?

I didn't want to tell you what to look for to keep from biasing your test. If it is really yellow, that's a bit of a concern.

Sometimes people see green water, and it's actually yellow water which looks green when combined with the blue from the liner. The yellow water could indicate iron. You may want to have another pool store test your water for iron. Your water utility reports as much as 0.9ppm iron in their water and an average of 0.12ppm. A dose of a metal sequestrant containing phosphonic acid or HEDP as recommended in the Pool School article Metals in the Water and Metal Stains might be in order, though I'd pursue another test result first.

Ok so I will take water to pool store and have them retest... They carry proteam metal magic if I need it.

Now when I held glass container of water against a white paper it looked clear with no coloring. If it was yellow it was very slight. I was going to hold a trichlor puck against the liner at bottom of pool where I see a visible discoloration to see if it lightens it... I also have vitamin C tabs that I could try as well

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do not hold a trichlor puck on the liner as you will bleach it as fast as dribbling bleach on a black shirt!

If and when you do the AA, get a gallon of PolyQuat60 and add accordingly to stave of an algae bloom while treating for stains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.