Pool leak question

After a couple weeks of trying to figure out what was wrong, I had a professional pool leak test done.

Leaks were found in the skimmer and pool light conduit and both were patched with epoxy for a temporary repair. It seemed good for a few weeks and now it is leaking badly again.

The pool light was screw was also not lining up correctly which needs to be fixed.

He gave me a quote for a new skimmer, I understand this.

Other quote was to "hydroseal light ring", he basically explained they are going to repair the light ring by cutting the concrete and patching after. This is the part I don't understand. Is this to put a new ring on so the light screws on correctly? Even if the light isn't screwed on correctly, where is the water leaking to? Doesn't it just go in the light niche? Please explain.

Is there any other way to repair this? Can't I just seal around the whole light?

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Sorry no one responded sooner. Perhaps this slipped through the cracks as we get pretty busy this time of year. You are correct that normally water just goes into the light niche and some may go up the pipe that contains the electric cable. The light niche is deeper than the pool surface but should not go deeper than the gunite shell, but if for some reason there is a hole/crack in that shell then water could escape or if there is a crack/hole in the electrical conduit then water could escape there.

I would presume that you could indeed seal the gunite light niche area and the entry to the electrical conduit. You may not want to seal around the light itself depending on its model since some depend on water being behind the light to conduct the heat away even if there's not a lot of water circulation. Some light rings even have holes from the pool side to the light niche side for that purpose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.