Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skin is dry and I smell of chlorine....hmmmm

1. Back To Top    #1

The Woodlands, TX

Skin is dry and I smell of chlorine....hmmmm

So, I'm still dialing in my SWG settings. We had a marked shift in weather recently and the sun has gone quite away. The last few days, my FC has been right around, or just over, 10ppm. It was running high 6's, low 7's last weekend. I've been dialing back the SWG, but between the lack of sun and not swimming due to the weather, I gather that not much chlorine is getting consumed during the day. Here's my test results from earlier this evening:

FC - 9.07
    TC - 9.07
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.9
    TA - 86
    CH - 303
    CYA - 48
    Salt - 3300

Earlier in the week my TA was at 120, dropped it down by lowering by pH to 7.2. It, and pH have drifted back up over the last 48 hours. My plaster / Wet Edge is still only about 45 days old.

Swimming, my skin feels dried out, and I smell a bit like chlorine. Any suggestions for a better water experience? I've turned the SWG completely off to try to get it down to about 5. Could that be it?
    8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: Skin is dry and I smell of chlorine....hmmmm

Well, your FC is a bit high for your CYA. I also see that your CYA is not high enough for your SWG. You should raise it to about 70ppm and run a target FC of 5ppm. You can check out the FC/CYA chart here for SWG.

CYA Chart
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Langwarrin, Victoria, Australia

and dont forget a decent test kit
    SWG inground peanut shaped painted concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

Your FC/CYA ratio is roughly 4 times higher than the recommendation for an SWCG pool which is around 4 ppm FC with 80 ppm CYA so experiencing more effects from the chlorine is understandable.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"