Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The wonders of GE silicone #2 and leaks

1. Back To Top    #1

Louisville, KY

The wonders of GE silicone #2 and leaks

I've been dealing with a leak at one of my returns for two years now; mostly kept it in check. It finally got so bad that I was losing 2.5" of water everyday this year after my niece picked apart my previous repair work. My local pool store is good, he's a builder. Kept telling me to go get GE silicone#2 and just seal it up until the permanent solution of breaking up the cool-deck concrete and replacing the return.

This stuff is great. It cures underwater. I couldn't believe it would seal the leak I had that was visibly 3mm by 20mm, a huge gash by any means. But it did.

So if you have a leak, try this first. It's pliable, flexible and most importantly - removable unlike epoxy.

Finding the leak is another thing. Food coloring doesn't match a syringe with leak detection dye.

Never, ever, ever use plumbers putty in a pool or PVC. It breaks down the PVC or plastic. I learned my lesson.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: The wonders of GE silicone #2 and leaks

Thanks for the tip!
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"