Pump to filter connection

RH60

Jul 12, 2012
Richmond, Va.
Have a new Hayward sand filter. The hose for the pump needs to have a 90 degree or elbow barb fitting coming out of the filter. Have tried to attach a pic.
Anyway I was wondering if it would be ok to extend the pump to filter hose from 2 ft. to about 4 ft. Instead of the sharp elbow bend this would allow move of a gentle curve. From what I remember about plumbing this would be better.

And I would not have the difficult problem like I have now with a small leak. Hard to install the elbow barb tight so it does not leak and have it pointing in exactly the right direction. Seems stupid that Hayward would even make their vales like this.

Thanks for any suggestions

Attachments

• sand_filter_&_pump_s166t92s_small.jpg
    sand_filter_&_pump_s166t92s_small.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 38
You will not see much of an improvement with just that change so it is hardly worth your effort. But fixing the leak probably is. Have you tried Teflon tape?

So when it is fully tight, does it go beyond the pump direction? If so, a few more wraps of tape might have it tighten sooner so it points at the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.