Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump to filter connection

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump to filter connection

Have a new Hayward sand filter. The hose for the pump needs to have a 90 degree or elbow barb fitting coming out of the filter. Have tried to attach a pic.
    Anyway I was wondering if it would be ok to extend the pump to filter hose from 2 ft. to about 4 ft. Instead of the sharp elbow bend this would allow move of a gentle curve. From what I remember about plumbing this would be better.

And I would not have the difficult problem like I have now with a small leak. Hard to install the elbow barb tight so it does not leak and have it pointing in exactly the right direction. Seems stupid that Hayward would even make their vales like this.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Attached Images Attached Images
    6014 gallons aprx
    cartridge type filter
    summer escapes pool above ground metal frame
    SFS1000 SkimmerPlus filter pump with GFCI=1,500 GPH
    install date: 6-1-12

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump to filter connection

You will not see much of an improvement with just that change so it is hardly worth your effort. But fixing the leak probably is. Have you tried Teflon tape?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes always tape and telfon paste to be safe. But just hard to get it tight to the right point were its pointing in the right direction.
    6014 gallons aprx
    cartridge type filter
    summer escapes pool above ground metal frame
    SFS1000 SkimmerPlus filter pump with GFCI=1,500 GPH
    install date: 6-1-12

4. Back To Top    #4

So when it is fully tight, does it go beyond the pump direction? If so, a few more wraps of tape might have it tighten sooner so it points at the pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater