Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemicals and evaporation???

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemicals and evaporation???

If I am losing a quarter to a half inch daily here in central fl. And having to fill every week, how in the world do I keep my levels right?.
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemicals and evaporation???

Quote Originally Posted by Themacdadt View Post
    If I am losing a quarter to a half inch daily here in central fl. And having to fill every week, how in the world do I keep my levels right?.
    Think of it this way. Evaporation concentrates the chemicals that are present, when you refill as long as your fill water is fairly neutral you have no loss situation. Also, depending on the size of your pool your are only losing a very small percentage of water each day.

It is normal for FC and TA and PH to fluctuate, happens to all of us. But evaporation probably contributes very little to that fluctuation.
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

3. Back To Top    #3

You almost certainly have a leak. 1/4" is about the most anyone should lose in a day to evaporation, and that is when the humidity is zero. Also, a leak will change your levels, but evaporation won't.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have read about a member who uses rainwater runoff from the roof to help fill his pool. I am also in Central Florida and haven't had to add water in some time. Even with a good backwash every couple months, I am at a pretty high level. You must have more direct sun, or perhaps a leak.
    22,000 gallon in ground, gunite, Hayward pump 1.5 hp and 36sq DE filter. Pool installation date unknown, at least 10 years. Screened enclosure.

5. Back To Top    #5

We'll I notice now in the summer there is a lot more evaporation than a few months ago and over the winter. Pool leak guy has been out twice and can not find a leak. Bucket test showed a eighth to a quarter inch more loss in pool. But pool leak guy says that's normal. Poo faces due west with screen enclosure.
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.