Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help, my timer switch stopped working

1. Back To Top    #1

Help, my timer switch stopped working

Well, my pool service was discontinued today due to not enough people in the area needing pool service. Perfect timing too, since so much started going wrong at once. They are referring us to other people, but I think I am going to try to go on my own.

Well my first problem is my timer switch stopped working. It's an Intermatic 24 Hr Dial Time Switch, model T104P. Here is a pic:

The problem is it no longer shuts off. It runs for 24/7, so I have to manually shut it on and off. I'm running it about 10 hours per day right now.

I would like to try to fix this. So how hard is that to do? Where should I start? Should I take this chance and upgrade to a nicer model?

Thanks for the advice.
    14 X 30, 15000 Gallon
    In Ground, Gunite
    Built 1994
    No automatic cleaner (it broke)
    Using the Pool Buster Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help, my timer switch stopped working

Does it keep time, or is it stopped? The motors are fairly inexpensive and easy to change.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

No it doesn't keep time, it's just stopped. So you think I can just swap out the motor?
    14 X 30, 15000 Gallon
    In Ground, Gunite
    Built 1994

4. Back To Top    #4

Just look in the access hole on top of the dial. It is probably imprinted with something like "motor inspection", etc. Look in the hole (you may need a flashlight) and you will see a gear. If the gear isn't turning the motor is probably bad. Most pool stores should carry them. Disconnect power before servicing.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

5. Back To Top    #5

Intermatic has a FAQ on their site.

http://www.intermatic.com/Default.asp?action=cat&cid=21
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought mine at home depot for about $61.57... I know they are cheaper online though. Mine was the T104R for reference.
    -inBamaNow

16x32 Hydra Liner, Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, Hayward CL200, AquaChem Test Kit =[

7. Back To Top    #7

Just went through the same thing with a different Intermatic timer. I looked online for a replacement timer motor, the Intermatic web site was at least 1/2 the cost of anywhere else & they shipped really quickly, it was about $33 (vs. about $100 or so to replace the entire timer).

Best part, you can replace the timer motor without rewiring everything. Just make sure that you turn off EVERYTHING at the pad using your breakers and confirm. The replacement takes about 5 minutes.
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just a follow up to this...I bought a replacement motor from here:

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(by...aspx?SKU=34400

..and it worked great! It took about 20 minutes to change, no problems whatsoever. Thanks all!
    14 X 30, 15000 Gallon
    In Ground, Gunite
    Built 1994

9. Back To Top    #9

My timer just died in the exact same way! It's the water heater version and is only $39 at HD, but if I can buy a part for less!!! I've been trying to limp thru the rest of the summer just using it manually, but last night we got home late and ended up cooling the pool w/ the solar panels at the end of the day and that just kills me when every degree COUNTS!

This forum rocks!
    Shelley
    Denver, CO