My project - Gunite pool 1971 Project

Jul 18, 2014
Peabody
HI all

I started out what I thought would be a fun and challenging project. My pool needed some love a rough floor, tiles falling off, and a broken step pushed me to do some renovations. I started in Early May 2014. I just filled up my pool yesterday. I did all the work myself with some help from my Dad. To date I patched numerous holes in the plaster along with a handful of large cracks behind the tile - which I replaced. I also rebuilt a step and re-plastered a few spots. The project was difficult and frustrating. I got a few quotes ranging from 4500 to 11500. I just didn’t have this in the budget. It cost me around 1600 start to finish. The largest expense being the tile job which cost me 650. The frustration was around the lack of suppliers in the area and the high water table filling my pool at a rate of 2 feet per day topping out around four feet. Keeping the pumps running was difficult and keeping it dry for paint was almost impossible. The frustrations kept coming as my pump now has a leak at the piston somewhere- that will cause me some unwanted work tonight. Overall I am pleased with the results. The pool looks great less some light and dark spots in the paint and some imperfections in the plaster repair areas. The other disappointment is that I assumed that some of the pitting that occurred would be filled with the paint. This did not happen but all the surface is smooth and looks a million times better than before.

Question for anyone willing to answer. Do I need a water conditioner as I filled my pool with fresh water with my hose? I plan on having it up and running tonight. Just want to make sure I am not wasting my money...

If you have a good test kit, you can test the fill water to see what you are starting with. Is the fresh water from a well or from city / municipal supply? If it is from the city, you should have no problems. If from a well, you might have iron or high calcium that you will need to work with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.