Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need retaining wall(s)?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need retaining wall(s)?

...I had a 24' round above ground pool installed yesterday. The electrician won't come for a few more days, so the pool isn't yet able to be used. The pool was installed on a sloped area. To avoid erosion issues, I assumed I would put a few yards of river rocks around the pool, which would be contained by some landscape edging. Then, I started wondering if that would be enough, and whether or not I would need retaining walls. The installer/preparer never mentioned a retaining wall being needed, and I never thought to ask. So, I decided to post some pictures on this forum and see what you fine folks had to say on the issue...

...so, upon viewing the attachments, will 2' of river rocks around the pool be sufficient?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (93.0 KB, 81 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (92.2 KB, 81 views)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need retaining wall(s)?

...another picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (63.3 KB, 78 views)

3. Back To Top    #3

I just backfilled my deep spots with rock and covered with mulch. Seems to be fine, been that way for 7 years. I did lay drainage pipe under the rock. I added landscaping block, but that was purely for looks.

IMG_0256.jpg
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

...so you have rocks resting up against the side of your pool, on the right side of your picture?
    24' x 54" Above Ground Pool
    1.5 HP Hayward

5. Back To Top    #5

with such a small slope.. maybe a short railroad tie retaining wall would work for you. It would be fairly cheap to build and would help you sleep better at night...

Example...
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Big Homie View Post
    ...so you have rocks resting up against the side of your pool, on the right side of your picture?
    Looks like trapezoid pavers about a foot or more from the pool with mulch in between.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

The only thing I'd add around the pool is something for drainage. Watch it for a few weeks, especially if and when it rains. You don't want standing water.

I have my pool in a slope that would laugh at your site. Getting ready to close out season #2 with no issues and no retaining wall.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    Looks like trapezoid pavers about a foot or more from the pool with mulch in between.
    ...he said he backfilled with rocks and covered with mulch. The right side of his pool looks dug down. So it would appear that he has rocks resting up against his pool, under that mulch. Is this acceptable?
    24' x 54" Above Ground Pool
    1.5 HP Hayward

9. Back To Top    #9

I misunderstood your question, I'm sorry. You were talking about your downward slope. I thought you meant the trench around the pool.

What we thought was a level yard wasn't.. lol. There was about a foot and a half difference. I backfilled with a little dirt to keep the sand from washing out. The place where I bought the pool said that was ok. No large rocks resting against pool. Drainage pipe covered in mulch is closest to pool. Large rocks placed in deeper dug down areas, covered in mulch. Hope that clarifies.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum