Do I need retaining wall(s)?

Jul 18, 2014
Killingly, CT
...I had a 24' round above ground pool installed yesterday. The electrician won't come for a few more days, so the pool isn't yet able to be used. The pool was installed on a sloped area. To avoid erosion issues, I assumed I would put a few yards of river rocks around the pool, which would be contained by some landscape edging. Then, I started wondering if that would be enough, and whether or not I would need retaining walls. The installer/preparer never mentioned a retaining wall being needed, and I never thought to ask. So, I decided to post some pictures on this forum and see what you fine folks had to say on the issue...

...so, upon viewing the attachments, will 2' of river rocks around the pool be sufficient?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 85
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 85
with such a small slope.. maybe a short railroad tie retaining wall would work for you. It would be fairly cheap to build and would help you sleep better at night...

Example...
railroad-tie-retaining-wall.jpg

The only thing I'd add around the pool is something for drainage. Watch it for a few weeks, especially if and when it rains. You don't want standing water.

I have my pool in a slope that would laugh at your site. Getting ready to close out season #2 with no issues and no retaining wall.

I misunderstood your question, I'm sorry. You were talking about your downward slope. I thought you meant the trench around the pool.

What we thought was a level yard wasn't.. lol. There was about a foot and a half difference. I backfilled with a little dirt to keep the sand from washing out. The place where I bought the pool said that was ok. No large rocks resting against pool. Drainage pipe covered in mulch is closest to pool. Large rocks placed in deeper dug down areas, covered in mulch. Hope that clarifies. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.