Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: caulking problems advice needed

1. Back To Top    #1

caulking problems advice needed

I have big gaps between the top of the pool tile and the coping - decking (not sure of the proper terminology). You can really only see it when standing in the pool. I can tell it was once filled with caulking but lots of it has disappeared and some mold has grown in on one side. I am attaching a picture (sorry it's upside down). This pool is only 2 years old, I am thinking it was not done right when it was installed. Is this something my husband and I can fix ourselves or do I need to call a pro? thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is one more picture (if photobucket worked right)
    [IMG]<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Leah_Smith_Wilbert/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    First year pool owner: 17,000 gal IG gunite, kidney shape approx 13' x 17'; 1 HP pump, Hayward sand filter, Intellichlor SWG, Polaris 280 robot, all run by EasyTouch. Using TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: caulking problems advice needed

Caulk is not the correct way to repair this. You would really want to use a grout to correctly fix this issue.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a recommendation on what type of grout to use? Thanks!
    First year pool owner: 17,000 gal IG gunite, kidney shape approx 13' x 17'; 1 HP pump, Hayward sand filter, Intellichlor SWG, Polaris 280 robot, all run by EasyTouch. Using TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

The picture is upside down so this is where the tile attaches from the pool to the deck. I have cleaned out cracks like that and filled with white silicone, have some areas that I did 5 years ago and still looks good and holding. I tape it off first so I get good clean lines.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

See if you can back away from the pool a bit and give us a better perspective. I am not sure what I am looking at. Not much but another foot or two should do it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School