Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best heater in 150-200k btu range for saltwater????

1. Back To Top    #1

Best heater in 150-200k btu range for saltwater????

So our Hayward 150FDN made it almost 4 yrs to the day before it started leaking the other day. Opened it up and it's def seen better days. Rusted all over and leaking in multiple spots. I maintain the chemicals and quality of the pool second to non. Also help 2 other people with the salt water pools. Neither of them have heater problems either. 1 has a 4 yr old unit also and another has 1 going on 8 yrs. please tell me some better brands as I would have though an $1800 heater would def last longer. Looking for internals more suited for salt.

Thanks in advance, Jeff
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Best heater in 150-200k btu range for saltwater????

So do these two other people have Haywards as well? Can you list what your water chemistry is currently at, PH, CYA, CH, etc. Since you are in IL, do you move the heater indoors during the winter or cover it up?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes both others are Hayward's also. I do cover it up over the winter after draining it but I leave it outside.

Ph 7.6-7.8
    Salinity 3100
    Alk 70
    Chlorine 3-5
    Ca can't rem off top of head
    Borates 30-50
    Cya 70-80

I have kept saltwater reef
    Tanks for 23 years so water chemistry has never really been a problem.
    Pool temp is usually 88-90 and kick it
    Up some weekend nights to 94-95
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

4. Back To Top    #4

A lot of people on the forum recommend Raypak. I just ordered one yesterday as my early 90's teledyne quit working for the last time. They have the option for cupronickel instead of copper, but I went with copper for this one. Got it from poolsupplyworld with free shipping. I'll update when I get it and install it.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I would have to blame the leaking on the same thing I have seen over the years with the Hayward FD heaters, bad production of the heat exchangers. I still stand by my assessment of the Raypak/Rheems, that they are probably the best unit on the market today. With the number of them I install a year and very few complaints even after almost 10 years in service, it's a solid unit.

As for the cupro nickle, I have not seen any difference in the regular copper vs cupro nickle if you keep your waters chemistry in line where it's suppose to be. Even if you didn't keep the chemicals right, you can still have am issue with the cupro nickle but it would show up later rather than sooner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    A lot of people on the forum recommend Raypak. I just ordered one yesterday as my early 90's teledyne quit working for the last time. They have the option for cupronicker instead of copper, but I went with copper for this one. Got it from poolsupplyworld with free shipping. I'll update when I get it and install it.
    You should have a very easy time installing this as the two units are almost identical. Lots of times I have been able to cut the pipes on the old coming out of the header and then the new one I can slide it over far enough that the old pipes glue right into the new unions. Then run the electrical and hook up ground wire. I did one install like this in 20 minutes and the homeowner thought I should give him a discount. LOL
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

I read the manual online- it has CPVC connectors with o-rings- I'm assuming I slide 2" PVC into this and tighten it down? If so I'll replumb some of my PVC and use 2" from the filter to the heater and then to the SWG.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I think they comes with CPVC union fittings that connect to the heater (that is where the o-rings would be) and you will need to use primer and solvent to connect the pipe to those fittings.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

That could be an issue- I did some research while buying PVC fittings for the install (plumbingsupply.com) and the internet says you can't properly glue CPVC and PVC together. But that's what they call for...
    Raypak.jpg

9. Back To Top    #9

All Jandy Neverlube valves (and the other brands) are black CPVC ... you just have to use a universal solvent and not just PVC solvent.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I use regular PVC glue and cleaner with no issues.
    Paul

11. Back To Top    #11

Nice the raypak is even cheaper for a larger btu unit.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Raypak advertises the CuproNickel being "...best suited for pools with harsh water chemistry like salt water pools" the price difference on the copper heat exchanger and CuproNickel is only $100 or so I would splurge for the CuproNickel heat exchanger if you have a Salt pool. The main thing you want to do is keep you water chemistry in check as all of the manufacture's warranties state that if your water chemistry is way out of whack then the warranty is void, so typically when they come out to do warranty work the first they will do is test your water.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I also agree, think raypak is best. For all salt water pools we install an anode before water entering heater

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

For all the years I've been installing and repairing gas pool heaters, I still believe that the cupro nickle is a waste of money no matter how much it costs. I see absolutely no reason why it's needed for pools that use a salt chlorinator. But, to each his own.
    Paul

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Good call on the sacrificial anode that may be a better investment than the cupronickel heat exchanger.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by patrick3229 View Post
    Good call on the sacrificial anode that may be a better investment than the cupronickel heat exchanger.
    Can someone explain where I could get such a "sacrificial anode" and how to install it?

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

You really don't need it. I'm not sure why people suggest such things. Just keep your pools chemicals at the correct levels. That is all you need.
    Paul