Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sudden rough build up on spa

1. Back To Top    #1

sudden rough build up on spa

Hello all,first time here.been using bleach to keep sanitized spa.i noticed the Ph meter said 5.0 so i put about a cup of borax in to bring it up.12 hours later i have a nasty sand paper like scum all over the spa..what did i do wrong? how can i fix this and avoid it again? Thank you all.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sudden rough build up on spa

Is it actually a scum? Can you brush it away and reveal smooth clean surface beneath? If the PH was really 5.0, that's pretty low and potentially could have damaged the surface depending on how long it was at that level. Since you said, "Ph meter" and most tests can't read PH even close to that low, can I ask how you got the measurement? It's possible that the reading of 5.0 was way wrong, and so it's hard to say. It's extremely difficult for us to help you without more information about your spa and the situation and without accurate test results. This forum is like a kitchen and the experts are master chefs; but if you provide bad ingredients (inaccurate test results), you'll get bad food (poor advice).
    40x20 IG gunite (~36K gallon). 6' attached spa with spillover. AquaLink RS OneTouch + SpaLink + iAquaLink 2.0
    450 sqft Sta-Rite cartridge filter, Sta-Rite single speed pumps (main, spa jets, booster)
    Coverstar Auto Cover, Polaris 280 cleaner, Taylor K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: sudden rough build up on spa

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrolan View Post
    Is it actually a scum? Can you brush it away and reveal smooth clean surface beneath? If the PH was really 5.0, that's pretty low and potentially could have damaged the surface depending on how long it was at that level. Since you said, "Ph meter" and most tests can't read PH even close to that low, can I ask how you got the measurement? It's possible that the reading of 5.0 was way wrong, and so it's hard to say. It's extremely difficult for us to help you without more information about your spa and the situation and without accurate test results. This forum is like a kitchen and the experts are master chefs; but if you provide bad ingredients (inaccurate test results), you'll get bad food (poor advice).
    Hello.Im certain it was a sudden calcium build up from me using borax.my Ph is always high in the spa.Im newbie. I figure i would put some borax in and all would be fine..NOT!!!
    Now i have to drain,use some vinegar and elbow grease to get this stuff off.
    How do i get back to my post to read replies?
    Thanks so much for all your help.