Hi From North Texas

Jun 24, 2014
Colleyville, TX
Hi everyone!
Just put up my 18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame pool that's been sitting brand new in the box, in the shed for the last 2 years. In 2011, I cleared and leveled the land for an Intex 18 x 48 easy set. I bought an upgrade to the /pump filter through CL, worked much better than what came with the pool (why do they put such weak pumps with them?!) Was taking down for the summer, and foster dogs chewed a whole in the air up part. 2012, saw the metal frame on clearance at the end of season and just never put it up. It took me two weeks of constant work with a few days off for rain the last time I did it(alone), and just wasn't up for it again. I also wanted to upgrade the pump and go for saltwater

This one got put up finally because I needed space in my shed. :hammer: I order the Intex Saltwater system this year, but as I've been reading through here- sounds like I have to just as much as you do with reg. chlorine?! I'm a busy mom of two, dog rescuer, wife, and photographer, so I was wanting something to take a bit of the work away. Oh well..
Now I'm wondering if I should just return it, and go with a better filter/pump and stick with chlorine, etc.

I just finished leveling back off the area this week I used for the easy set. I went with foam instead of stand for underlayment after reading posts here. I am also going to install a through the wall skimmer tomorrow. I need to go buy some shut off valves for it. I do have question though.. what do you do with the other unused outlet? The one originally for the over the wall skimmer that comes with the pool?! Just keep it closed off? I see people have it hard plumbed, but why? What do you use it for? :)
Next spring I plan to landscape around the pool. I have a soon to be 6 year "special needs" boy, that climbs like a monkey(he's got some serious upper body strength and control) so I don't think I will be doing a deck, ever.
This place has been a great wealth of information and ideas. I've been reading here for about a month now.

Oh and Hi, I'm Jess ;)

Thanks Abigail! :)
Been there and read both. :D (a few times and keep going back for reference)

Although, I think I will still stick with the SWG just because we have extremely hard water, that also has a lot of rust and calcium in it. So in the long run, if anything the SWG might make it easier to regulate the water by making it softer, etc. Also, pool is in direct sunlight from about 11am to 4pm.

So now I'll just wait to see if someone has an answer to the unused return.

You can use the unused return for your vacuum. You will have to plumb it in line with your skimmer and put a valve on it to regulate how much you pull from it. I usually throw my automatic vacuum in when I leave for work and then retrieve it at lunch. On my set up I dont have that extra inlet for my vacuum (I have to unplug my skimmer from the vacuum line) and there is usually a bunch of dead bugs and leaves on the surface from just that 4.5 Hrs that the vacuum was running. with a dual setup you would still be skimming. Just an idea.