re-plumbing at equip. site/deleting infloor cleaner/changing from cartridge to DE

Am considering re-plumbing at equip. site in order to delete infloor cleaner and change to Polaris 180, also to change to DE from cartridge.

Replaster needed, have heard various opinions on whether to use a pool builder to do it, or work directly with a plaster company.

This is a pool with lots of problems in the past, was losing water, which I discovered after turning off the auto fill and having trouble balancing chemicals. Later found out this builder puts auto fill on all his pools, I suspect reason is that it keeps owners from realizing for quite a while that they have leaks. My leak detection was done by a leak detection company, found to be around inlet pipes, currently sealed with two part plaster, was told that they were not packed before the initial plaster was done.

The infloor does not leak but has never worked right, pool always has dead spots where it does not clean, when I built I had them plumb in a Polaris line, which they did not want to do, and am now going to install one.

Can anyone suggest how to save money on the new equipment, I have spent a fortune on this pool in the last ten years.

I have ordered my test kit, waiting for arrival to use it.

Have been using Leslie powdered shock and calcium line has worsened in the last six weeks, pool clouds to look like thin milk when I use it.

I got sucked in by the pool store :). Going back to liquid, just got tired of hauling all those cases of gallons of liquid. It never ended.

Can you suggest an online or other source for a new Polaris and DE filter? How could I show you pics of my plumbing so you might be able to say if it is feasible for us to do it DIY..we are not going to do anything with gas. thanks for any help you can be. I am close to renting an excavator and demolishing the whole thing.

Also, I have been told by plaster people that on a replaster of this pool I can put plugs in the openings where the heads are now and fill/plaster them. What do you think? Here in Texas what I have heard about replaster is that they only chip off plaster down 18" or so below tile line, use bond coat over the old plaster, then apply new plaster. Is this the BEST way to do it or only the cheapest way? Could you forward my questions to a member or two who might be willing to help me with my issues, I am new to posting and don't know how to get my question noticed. :) thanks

If the existing plaster is solid then a partial chip around fixtures and the edges is fine. If the plaster is delaminating it needs to all come out. The trend these days is away from a full chip out. In some ways a full chip out and re-plaster is "better", but if the existing plaster is solid it makes very little difference and costs a lot less to do only a partial. When doing a partial, there should always be a through inspection of the surface after draining to insure it is indeed in good condition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.