New pool - bad choice - Baquacil

graler

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 17, 2014
Cedar Park, TX
We put the AG pool in about 6 weeks ago. The folks at the pool store convinced us to go the Baquacil route. Now I know why - headed full steam to the poor house. I have read through many of the threads on conversions. Just trying to decide when to do it. Being in Texas with lots of heat and sun I may need a tanker truck of bleach. The real question for me is the filter. We have a sand filter. Like I said only 6 or so weeks in. Is this still a sand change out or maybe my baqa doesn't have a strangle hold yet. Any thoughts?

Joe

I don't think there's anyway to get around changing the sand. The Baqua and chlorine mixing is just gonna goo it up from what I have read.

Here are some useful quotes (both by Leebo) about sand filters and Baqua conversions.

at the beginning stages of the process I would suggest switching your filter over to bypass if the option is available to you. If you can't bypass the filter, backwash whenever your PSI increases 25% over your starting level. The more water you can dump too, the faster the process will go.

At the start of the conversion your filter is mostly useless. The chlorine is doing all the work. The more you can move the chlorine around and maintain it around 15ppm the faster it will go. Using the filter at first will distract you from dosing, as back flushing will need to be done VERY often. Once the Baquagoo is broke down then your filter will help, but at first it's only in the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a very good thread if you want to see what someone else went through on their conversion, their questions, and their pictures.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/76443-Baquacil-Conversion-%28Starting-5-31%29

Welcome to TFP!

Even though you have used Baqua for a short period of time, you will still need to switch out the sand. Once the Baqua and chlorine come in contact they create a very sticky substance we refer to as "Baqua-Goo." This goo will clump your sand together making it almost worthless to filter effectively in the future. As for when to preform the switch, you're in a tight spot here. How much longer do you plan on leaving the pool open? We're about 1/2 way done with the swim season at this point. Converting now does mean at least a week of the pool being closed for swimming. Converting at the end of the season (if you plan on leaving open year round) or the beginning of next season (if you plan on closing) will give you time to try and lower the Baqua levels and add fresh water to help in the switch. The lower the Baqua levels are at the start, the easier the conversion will be.

Last thought is on your pool size. How large is your pool? Depending on how many gallons it is, you maybe able to make your life easier to dump and refill the pool. You'll still need to follow the steps for converting after the refill, as the Baqua still hides out in the plumbing and such, however it will go FAR quicker this way if it's an option. Add your info for your pool in your signature for us to all see and help you further by following the steps below........................

Settings > Edit Signature

Thanks for the help. Given that we are in the middle of swim season and it is a brand new pool. We will continue with the Baquacil until we get to the no swim season. Our last couple of weeks have not been much fun. Our PH dropped off the charts. Algae appeared. Guy at the pool store said add PH increaser - alot of it. That turned things all milky. After about four days that settled out and the pool cleared up. This big add shot our alkalinity through the roof. Add a bunch of muratic acid and a little CDX. Now my alkalinity is back in check but the ph is low again. Took a water sample in and the freaking readout is telling me to add 2 lbs of Increaser again. WTH. I used the calculator on the site and it said 16 oz. I am adding the increaser slowly and checking. All I have for testing are those freaking baquacil strips. Will be getting a test kit ASAP. I have watched a couple of videos on changing filter sand and that has calmed my nerves a bit.

I used Baquacil for 3 years before switching to chlorine and I didn't change my sand after the switch. I used Baquacil's universal filter cleaner (hydrochloric acid) after the switch and I didn't have any problems. Of course, that might not be the case for everyone.

Wow, from reading, I knew Baquacil could get to be difficult after a few years, but I never knew it could be so difficult right from the beginning. I really wish I could help you, but I have no experience with Baq. I'll be reading, offering you silent moral support, but hopefully some users here with Baq experience will be able to help you. I really understand you not wanting to give up any of the swim season, especially with the way this summer has been going.

For the pH and TA start using the suggestions as listed in the ABC's of Pool Chemistry to control them. They are handled the same regardless of if the user has chlorine in their pool or Baquacil.

We had used Baqua for about 15+ years and sadly never did find anything better for Baqua than those stupid test strips. Don't go looking hard.
A quick brief on what we had found worked best for the system to help out with your last few months..................

If the water's turning green...................
User the Baqua Oxidizer to help turn the water clear. This is what kills all the algae.

To help maintain the water......................
Weekly dump in some Oxidizer to continue to kill everything growing. They say to do so every month, however we found it worked better to stay ahead of the game rather than trying to fight against a green pool. Make sure your Sanitizer and Algistat levels stay at the high end (I THINK the levels were 30-50ppm) at all times. Test this and dose often. Sorry about the cost of this one, but again, it's better to try to keep it clear than to fight a green pool.

Update. I went out this weekend and bought a test kit that can do PH as well as TA amongst other tests - got it at Leslie's probably paid too much - I was impatient and sometimes that comes at a price. Checked my PH levels on Saturday. 6.8. Used the pool math and it told me how many ounces of sodium carbonate to add. I snuck up on it. Added a quarter of the recommended dose waited a couple hours then checked and repeated. Sunday evening PH was just over 7.2 yeah! Used the kit to check TA and I need a little help. I think I am taking things to literally. 25 ml water. Add two drops mix, add 5 drops turns green. Add drops and count multiply by 10. The green gets light colored then purple, purple to pink. Is that the color change I am looking for. It says red - I continued to add drops trying to get to red but stopped when it got to 25. I am sure my TA is not that high. It turned pink ( or red ) between 10 and 11 drops. My last store alkalinity test was at about 105. So that test was in line with that result. Wife and kids swam today and said the pool felt great but it needs a vacuum. My response - I expect that to be done by the time I get home tomorrow. Yes I am a dreamer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Abilgail,

Thanks for the response. I am talking about the TA test. The stages are clear to green to purple and then to red (pink). I am having a tough time picking up the change from purple to pink. When I have had water checked at the store electronically it is right around 100 TA. I think everything is right on but it is just a subtle change.

Ok I know I have voiced that I will wait until the end of swim season to change over but this thing is driving me nuts. All of my numbers are spot on. My baquacil number is even high. My pool is the most beautiful shade of green. I have just added a full (96oz) of oxidizer and some CDX. That was on instruction from the pool store. Hopefully this will start moving me back to clear. So frustrated.

- - - Updated - - -

I think my issue is the definition of red. The test says red. It turns pink. I continue to add drops trying to get from pink to red. Stopped at 20 drops. I am clearly wasting the drops at this point. I think it will take a little more practice.

I am starting to prepare for the conversion. What are the rules about draining water (pumping it out) of an above ground pool? Don't go below a certain level? I am thinking a water replacement of 50% or more would increase the speed of the conversion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.