Solar heater question with 2 speed pump

Jul 7, 2014
orlando fl
I've been reading on the board here that most 2 speed pumps cannot prime solar panels, but that it may be possible if the pump ran on high, then switched to low? I have an installer scheduled to come out and install 7 FAFCO Sunsaver panels. I have a 2 story house. My pump is a 1.5 HP Jandy Flo-Pro 2 speed pump, with cartridge filter. I have no water features or spa, and dual Intermatic timers (one controls on / off, other pump speed).

Anyone know if it would be possible to start the pump on high, then switch to low? I want to get the energy savings of my low speed, rather than have to run the darn thing on high all the time.

I know I can get additional pins for the timers to cycle the pump speed - but I'm wondering if it will work. The solar installer doesn't like 2 speed pumps, which is not a good sign.

Solar is most efficient on high speed. Not likely going to work on low on 2 story house. Just use low when solar not needed, that is what I do.

Some solar controllers will automatically switch pump speeds when solar is on or off ... highly recommend that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.