New Pool Owner and I have no idea - looking for help

Hello
I recently found this site. Looking for answers. I bought an intex 15ft x 42" AGP (no frame) from amazon. It has not arrived but I want to be ready when it does. I have no idea what to do, how to start, etc when it comes to the water, chemicals, etc.

I have leveled the area where the pool will go and laid old carpet down for a soft "mat". When the pool arrives I will inflate the top ring and begin filling up the pool with my garden hose. I have very hard water and thus have a soft-water system. This is the water I will be using.

I need to know what I need to get to keep the pool useable. The pool comes with pump and filter but does not come with any chemicals or test kits. Please help me get started on what I need to get, how to test, etc, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am not looking to be a pool expert, just the basics that will get me buy for the least amount of money.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you but it is all still greek to me. So I fill the pool...and then what? How do I test? What test should I get? How many times do I test a week? What exactly do I need to test for? What other equipment should I get to keep it clean? Is the pump/filter that comes with the pool sufficient? If not, what is? etc, etc. Thank you in advance.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Everything you have asked is explained in Pool School. I know that is a lot of info, but just read it in chunks. Casey laid out a nice list start with the first one.

There is no reason for us to re-type everything that is written already ... you have to make a little effort to learn ;) But, please ask specific questions when they arise.

Your post above is a shot-gun of questions all over the map and that is just going to lead to confusion. Please read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72760-Keep-your-post-simple

- - - Updated - - -

To add, your pool is small enough that you might consider following the Temporary pool guide: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/155-guide-for-seasonal-temporary-pools

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Everything you have asked is explained in Pool School. I know that is a lot of info, but just read it in chunks. Casey laid out a nice list start with the first one.

There is no reason for us to re-type everything that is written already ... you have to make a little effort to learn ;) But, please ask specific questions when they arise.

Your post above is a shot-gun of questions all over the map and that is just going to lead to confusion. Please read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72760-Keep-your-post-simple

- - - Updated - - -

To add, your pool is small enough that you might consider following the Temporary pool guide: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/155-guide-for-seasonal-temporary-pools

Thank you for the quick response. I have been reading over the information on this site. The "seasonal temporary pools" article you sent was very helpful. One question I have. It states I will need a 2way test kit from a megamart store. Cost is $10. However, I was not able to find this test kit at the price stated. Any help to a link or specific name of test kit would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

You will need some time reading to build up your understanding. I'll give you few of my opinions to help get you started, but you should invest some time in your own understanding. These are based on your request of getting you by on a budget, yet making your ownership enjoyable. I don't know what equipment came with your pool package. I also don't know specifically what is compatible with your model so you would need to check that. But generally the intex stuff is compatible and adaptable.

Equipment- I would recommend you upgrade to an Intex sand filter, the cost is worth the improvement. The Intex deluxe skimmer and maintenece kits work well and have everything you need equipment wise to get by. On an Easy Set you will need to build a simple PVC stand to mount the skimmer to, otherwise it is a pain. But it's worth it to have a skimmer.

Test kit- You can get by with the Walmart 6 way test kit on a small seasonal pool, particularly if you keep up on your chemical maintenece and don't end up with algae. However the kits recommended by Casey are more comprehensive, precise, and could be necessary at some point to more accurately clear an algae outbreak. Your call.

Chemicals- there are charts and calculators here for levels and math help. There are 3 basic things you need to focus on. Chlorine, cyranic acid aka CYA or stabilizer, PH. Starting on fill day get your chlorine to the recomended level with bleach (Aldi, great value, whatever just unscented plain bleach). Pay attention to the % on the bleach bottle, you'll need to enter that in the pool calculator. Maintain this daily, perhaps twice daily until you've got your CYA in. As soon as youre full and running your pump, get your CYA in, you can get at Walmart. 30-40 ppm will be good. This is only depleted by water being physically removed from the pool. It does not evaporate or get used up. I add at beginning of season and after mid season backwash of my filter. Next start maintaining your ph. It's not super critical. Between 7.2 and 7.8 will get you rolling. This doesn't change as quickly as chlorine but you'll want to monitor and keep in range. When you get ready to make a PH adjustment you'll want to measure your total alkalinity and put that number in the pool calculator. TA is not critical and you can learn about it at your convience, but the measurement affects the qty of what you add to adjust your ph, so you'll want a ballpark idea of what it is in the calculator.

That was my quick basics to get you rolling. There are other ways and nuances you can consider. Intex also make a nice inexpensive salt water chlorine generator. After you absorb your initial start up cost and get comfortable with the chemical maintenance you may want to consider upgrading to it as your chlorine source.

It seems like a lot now, but it's a breeze once you get a basic understanding. Particularly on a small seasonal pool.

The 2-way OTO/pH test (Taylor K-1000 in one) is the bare minimum to try to squeak by. The 6-way HTH that jcp mentions is a step up as it allows you to not guess at somethings (like CYA level and TA). By far, the Recommended Test Kits are the best so that you KNOW all the levels in the pool, I can see that you may think that is overkill given the price though.

It can often be less frustrating with the right tool as there is no guessing, but that comes at a price.

Something like this will work: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1286471

It looks like your pool will hold 3,284 Gallons, according to Intex. So even if things get wacky, dumping it out and refilling it won't break you. Unless you're on a well.

You could also go up a step in test kits and get one that measures alkalinity as well, or another step up and get one that is a 5-way, but that starts to approach the cost of refilling the pool a dozen times.

What is important is that you don't rely on test strips. Some are right on, some are so vague as to be useless, and some are downright wrong. Which ones do you have? There's no way to know.

You'll need some kind of chlorine. Bleach is the simplest as far as calculating side effects. But you'll also need stabilizer aka CYA, and you can get that with pucks and a floater. And if you overdo the CYA, like I said, dumping a bunch of water and refilling is only a matter of a couple hours. While the size of the pool isn't much, the easy option of dumping some water is enviable.

You will need some time reading to build up your understanding. I'll give you few of my opinions to help get you started, but you should invest some time in your own understanding. These are based on your request of getting you by on a budget, yet making your ownership enjoyable. I don't know what equipment came with your pool package. I also don't know specifically what is compatible with your model so you would need to check that. But generally the intex stuff is compatible and adaptable.

Equipment- I would recommend you upgrade to an Intex sand filter, the cost is worth the improvement. The Intex deluxe skimmer and maintenece kits work well and have everything you need equipment wise to get by. On an Easy Set you will need to build a simple PVC stand to mount the skimmer to, otherwise it is a pain. But it's worth it to have a skimmer.

Test kit- You can get by with the Walmart 6 way test kit on a small seasonal pool, particularly if you keep up on your chemical maintenece and don't end up with algae. However the kits recommended by Casey are more comprehensive, precise, and could be necessary at some point to more accurately clear an algae outbreak. Your call.

Chemicals- there are charts and calculators here for levels and math help. There are 3 basic things you need to focus on. Chlorine, cyranic acid aka CYA or stabilizer, PH. Starting on fill day get your chlorine to the recomended level with bleach (Aldi, great value, whatever just unscented plain bleach). Pay attention to the % on the bleach bottle, you'll need to enter that in the pool calculator. Maintain this daily, perhaps twice daily until you've got your CYA in. As soon as youre full and running your pump, get your CYA in, you can get at Walmart. 30-40 ppm will be good. This is only depleted by water being physically removed from the pool. It does not evaporate or get used up. I add at beginning of season and after mid season backwash of my filter. Next start maintaining your ph. It's not super critical. Between 7.2 and 7.8 will get you rolling. This doesn't change as quickly as chlorine but you'll want to monitor and keep in range. When you get ready to make a PH adjustment you'll want to measure your total alkalinity and put that number in the pool calculator. TA is not critical and you can learn about it at your convience, but the measurement affects the qty of what you add to adjust your ph, so you'll want a ballpark idea of what it is in the calculator.

That was my quick basics to get you rolling. There are other ways and nuances you can consider. Intex also make a nice inexpensive salt water chlorine generator. After you absorb your initial start up cost and get comfortable with the chemical maintenance you may want to consider upgrading to it as your chlorine source.

It seems like a lot now, but it's a breeze once you get a basic understanding. Particularly on a small seasonal pool.

Thanks for the input and help. I think I am understanding this a bit. I plan to follow the advice found in the "Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools". I do have a few questions though:

1. I will be using my well water which runs through a soft water system (culligan). Is that a problem?
2. When getting my CYA up to 40ppm how do I test this? Does the test described in the "Guide" test for CYA? Is the liquid stuff easier to use and therefore I can use the pool sooner or do I need to add and wait a week before using the pool until the CYA is sufficient (either solid or liquid)?
3. Do I need to test for CYA, FC, and PH prior to adding so I can put the numbers in the pool calculator?
4. Start to finish (filling and testing to sufficiency) how long before I can use my pool?

Again, thank you for the help.

Have you read any of the links provided yet?

You can use your pool tonight, like right now if you want.

If you want a great test kit that performs all your testing needs, as jblizzle noted, it comes at a price. Most are willing to pay it, myself included. It is an investment in stellar pool water clarity and we use it everyday to test our waters. You can look at the kits here :arrow: Test Kit Comparison

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the input and help. I think I am understanding this a bit. I plan to follow the advice found in the "Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools". I do have a few questions though:

1. I will be using my well water which runs through a soft water system (culligan). Is that a problem?
2. When getting my CYA up to 40ppm how do I test this? Does the test described in the "Guide" test for CYA? Is the liquid stuff easier to use and therefore I can use the pool sooner or do I need to add and wait a week before using the pool until the CYA is sufficient (either solid or liquid)?
3. Do I need to test for CYA, FC, and PH prior to adding so I can put the numbers in the pool calculator?
4. Start to finish (filling and testing to sufficiency) how long before I can use my pool?

Again, thank you for the help.

1- It is not problem. However it's also not necessary to fill with softened water particularly without a SWG. Sometimes well water may have rust or other things in it, but it is what it is.
2- I use the liquid for my convenience. It is more expensive. My 6 way walmart test kit came with enough stuff to test for CYA two times. I used that up right away year one. For this year and last year I have simply added the correct amount to reach my target and assumed it to be good. I make an educated guess mid season after I backwash my sand filter and top it off. I have had no issue. With liquid or solid you can start using your pool right away. With solid you would want to place it in a sock in front of your pump return and give a squeeze periodically. If you are going to test for the level, most say to give the solid a week before testing.
3- You are filling with well water. Your CYA and FC will be 0. Your PH will need to be measured. The Walmart 6 way kit has the advantage of measuring Total Alkalinity, which could aid you in maintaining your PH. Total Alkalinity is a value that you would put in the calculator and it would give you more precise values of what to add to adjust your PH. The TA in my fill water runs very high so I find knowing and monitoring my TA helps over the season in adjusting my PH. Over course I also run a SWG, so keeping my PH in check is a bit more critical and more work.
4- You bathe in your water, you can start swimming as soon as you want. I do recommend giving your bleach or if you need to add acid to adjust your PH a half hour to circulate before getting in whenever you are adding. Just so you don't hit a "hot spot".

While I certainly wouldn't steer anyone away from one of the more comprehensive test kits, and will eventually get one myself (and a speed stir, I really have speed stir envy). I would put my sparkly water up against anyone else's any day, and mine is maintained with the Walmart 6 way test kit that has been out of the CYA reagent for two years. Although if I had a larger permanent pool I would without question or hesitation get one of the more comprehensive kits day one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.