Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does the FC diminish faster when at higher levels due to evaporation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does the FC diminish faster when at higher levels due to evaporation?

I have seen a few posts about people who need to leave their pool unattended for an extended period of time (7-10 days). And the use of pucks is often a suggestion. Why couldn't the FC level be raised based on average daily loss? So if you will be leaving for 10 days and your average loss is 2 ppm, you increase your FC level above where you want it by 20ppm.

Does the FC diminish faster when at higher levels due to evaporation? If not, why would this not be a good solution?
    22,000 gallon in ground, gunite, Hayward pump 1.5 hp and 36sq DE filter. Pool installation date unknown, at least 10 years. Screened enclosure.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does the FC diminish faster when at higher levels due to evaporation?

It's a percentage, not a fixed ppm.

So if you lose 40% per day, if you start at 20, you'll be at 12, then 7.2, then 4.3 by day 3. By day 4, you're done for. There comes a point where you'd have to start out so high that you'd likely bleach the liner, or end up using as much as you'd need to clear the algae bloom if you hadn't done anything.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

And it does not evaporate, it gets broken down by the sun and organics.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That's why using tabs when going on vacation is a good way of keeping FC at a decent level for a week to 10 days. It dissolves fairly slowly so it's not in the water to get burned up by the sun. I did that once after I started using bleach for chlorination. The day I left, I poured in two bottles of 8.25% and 5 tabs in a floater 10 days later, I still had some of the tabs left in the floater and FC of 4ppm . Thanks Richard!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

The longest I went with pool unattended was 4 days. Took FC up to SLAM level which was 16 and when I got back FC was 3.5. Water temp was 88-90. 10-11 hours full sun with clear solar cover on it.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.