CYA question...I'm confused

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
So to date, i've added 4lbs of stabilizer to my 15,000 gallon pool.

Added 2lbs at first, then the 3rd lb about 4 days later, then the last lb last Wednesday.

So its been exactly 1 week since the last pound was added, a week and a half since the pound before that and a little over 2 weeks from the first 2lb. This is a new fill and I had a CYA of 0 when I started.

I tested CYA tonight and at 20 the dot is completely blurred out. At 25, I can barely make out the dot, and at 30 I can see it pretty well.

For adding 4lbs of CYA, I'm only getting a reading of 20-25. That doesnt seem right to me. And i'm using about 3-4 ppm FC every day....Even with the solar cover on all day.

FC tonight was 3.5, CC was 0, PH 7.5

I added 60oz of 12.5%. Which should bring me close to 8 on my FC. I'll wait 45 min and go back and test. I've constantly loss less than 1ppm every night and the pool is CRYSTAL clear.
The CYA is confusing me though...

Any suggestions?

When I crunch numbers on poolmath, I see an estimated value of 36 CYA for all you've added. Since the test is only good to +/- 10, you're within tolerance. Did that CYA say it was 100% Cyanuric acid? There are some blends that have borates in them.

Add another pounds, or use a few pucks to raise it a little if it worries you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.