Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA question...I'm confused

1. Back To Top    #1

Clarksburg, WV

CYA question...I'm confused

So to date, i've added 4lbs of stabilizer to my 15,000 gallon pool.

Added 2lbs at first, then the 3rd lb about 4 days later, then the last lb last Wednesday.

So its been exactly 1 week since the last pound was added, a week and a half since the pound before that and a little over 2 weeks from the first 2lb. This is a new fill and I had a CYA of 0 when I started.

I tested CYA tonight and at 20 the dot is completely blurred out. At 25, I can barely make out the dot, and at 30 I can see it pretty well.

For adding 4lbs of CYA, I'm only getting a reading of 20-25. That doesnt seem right to me. And i'm using about 3-4 ppm FC every day....Even with the solar cover on all day.

FC tonight was 3.5, CC was 0, PH 7.5

I added 60oz of 12.5%. Which should bring me close to 8 on my FC. I'll wait 45 min and go back and test. I've constantly loss less than 1ppm every night and the pool is CRYSTAL clear.
    The CYA is confusing me though...

Any suggestions?
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: CYA question...I'm confused

When I crunch numbers on poolmath, I see an estimated value of 36 CYA for all you've added. Since the test is only good to +/- 10, you're within tolerance. Did that CYA say it was 100% Cyanuric acid? There are some blends that have borates in them.

Add another pounds, or use a few pucks to raise it a little if it worries you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!