Holy Moly high CH!

Iwilk

Jun 18, 2013
Louisville, KY
I have not tested my CH in a long time, bad I know. Well I just tested and it's 800!

FC 5
CC 0
Ph 7.8
TA 70
CYA 20 (taking it up to 40 tonight)

If I keep my PH lowered to 7.2 - 7.4 should I be okay the rest of this season? I'm about to test my water straight from the tap to see what it tests. Stay tuned!

Luckily your TA is not very high so that helps ... if you keep the pH below 7.8 you should be fine ... 7.4 would be around a neutral CSI.

What is a long time? What did the CH used to be? You have not been using cal-hypo have you?

Yes that's a bit high, but people have managed with even higher. The key is the PH as you seem to know.
I know some people capture rain water or divert it into the pool to help out.
Other people with more experience with high CH will chime in for ya. ?

Now I'm wondering if I have ever tested it? I actually retested it and it's 900. My tap water measured 900 as well. So there's my answer. Should I try to lower my TA some more? I have to add MA every couple weeks cause my PH drifts up to 8.2 that should be lowering my TA a little right? Nothing goes in my pool except bleach or MA. I never need baking soda or borax. How low is too low for TA with my high CH?

900 CH from the tap should be obvious. You'll have thick white crust on all the faucets and showerheads , clogged up coffeemaker, and a ring around the toilet bowl. Even where I live, it's nowhere near that high. Are you on a well in Limestone country?

Are you doing the CH test with 10 ml or 25 ml, and are you multiplying by the right factor? Next question: are you getting these results from manual swirling or using a speedstir? My CH reading dropped 200 just by switching to the speedstir which gives a better, longer mix time.

If the CH is really and truly 900, you'll need to keep TA down in the 60-70 range and watch pH closely and actually pay attention to the CSI on poolmath. You want that below about .5.

I filled cylinder to 25, not 10. Wish I would have to save regeants. I have a speed stir but didn't use it. Dropped 20 R-0010, 5 R-0011L, mixing between drops. It took 9 drops to turn blue. The 8th dropped turned purple. I have city water, not well. I'm going to retest with my speed stir. I'll be back folks!

Okay. Wow! I used the speed stir and got 400. I cannot believe the difference that made in testing. I will use it for every single test now. I feel like an idiot, lol! Oh well I'm glad it's not 900. Thanks for the help everyone.

Guess I'm a horrible mixer. Off to retest everything else now!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my gosh! You're right! I'm quitting for the day! I'm losing it! You're all welcome for the laughs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.