Does CYA from pucks show up on test right away?

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
I'm temporarily using trichlor pucks to increase my CYA while keeping the pool adequately chlorinated. Last weekend CYA was 25 (dead center between 20 and 30).

My target is between between 40 and 50 (and when I hit that I'll go back to using bleach), so I've added 3 pounds of pucks in the past 3 days. The last pound is still in the inline chlorinator, and the first 2 pounds have already been dissolved.

As of today, the CYA is still 25. Maybe closer to 30. So my question is even if the pucks had been dissolved a long time ago, does CYA still wait a week to show up on the test?

I am pretty sure the CYA from trichlor and dichlor and liquid stabilizer should show up as soon as it is dissolved and circulated.

The granular pure CYA even though it appears to be dissolved, may in fact not have completely been broken down which causes the delay.

idk, but I found this posted elsewhere on this site by Bama Rambler.

"Pucks come in different sizes. Common are 7 & 8 oz sizes. An 8 oz tablet will raise your FC by 2.2 ppm and your CYA by 1.3 ppm in a 25,000 gal pool."
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/43169-How-much-CYA-in-Trichlor-3-quot-puck

So that should put you at 5.2 ppm per pound.

It looks like you may have already done the calculation to reach your target (40). I thought I would post just in case.

I actually have 1" tablets, rather than the jumbo size 3" pucks. I'm assuming 1 tablet is 1 ounce, or somewhere close to that. For each "pound", I just grab a heaping handful and dump them in the chlorinator. Because I'm approximating the amounts, I'm going for a target of 40 in case I overshoot it by a little.

So I asked this question because I wasn't sure whether I should continue to add more pucks, or stop and use bleach then test CYA a few days later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.