Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does CYA from pucks show up on test right away?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does CYA from pucks show up on test right away?

I'm temporarily using trichlor pucks to increase my CYA while keeping the pool adequately chlorinated. Last weekend CYA was 25 (dead center between 20 and 30).

My target is between between 40 and 50 (and when I hit that I'll go back to using bleach), so I've added 3 pounds of pucks in the past 3 days. The last pound is still in the inline chlorinator, and the first 2 pounds have already been dissolved.

As of today, the CYA is still 25. Maybe closer to 30. So my question is even if the pucks had been dissolved a long time ago, does CYA still wait a week to show up on the test?
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does CYA from pucks show up on test right away?

I am pretty sure the CYA from trichlor and dichlor and liquid stabilizer should show up as soon as it is dissolved and circulated.

The granular pure CYA even though it appears to be dissolved, may in fact not have completely been broken down which causes the delay.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

idk, but I found this posted elsewhere on this site by Bama Rambler.

"Pucks come in different sizes. Common are 7 & 8 oz sizes. An 8 oz tablet will raise your FC by 2.2 ppm and your CYA by 1.3 ppm in a 25,000 gal pool."
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...or-3-quot-puck

So that should put you at 5.2 ppm per pound.

It looks like you may have already done the calculation to reach your target (40). I thought I would post just in case.
    22,000 gallon in ground, gunite, Hayward pump 1.5 hp and 36sq DE filter. Pool installation date unknown, at least 10 years. Screened enclosure.

4. Back To Top    #4

I actually have 1" tablets, rather than the jumbo size 3" pucks. I'm assuming 1 tablet is 1 ounce, or somewhere close to that. For each "pound", I just grab a heaping handful and dump them in the chlorinator. Because I'm approximating the amounts, I'm going for a target of 40 in case I overshoot it by a little.

So I asked this question because I wasn't sure whether I should continue to add more pucks, or stop and use bleach then test CYA a few days later.
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I have 1" spa tablets of 99% trichlor (Leslie brand) and they weigh 1/2 oz per tablet

6. Back To Top    #6

3" tabs are from 6-8 ounces, usually 7-8; 1" tabs are 1/2 ounce.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"