I thought things were going so well...

But I believe I have an algae problem. Our pool looks pretty good in the shallow end but is greenish and getting cloudy in the deep. There is yellowish green "dust" along the surfaces. My first step was to begin brushing daily and set the pump to run continually.

The CYA, according to a dilution test, is about 80. I don't think I was getting an accurate reading earlier and let the FC level get away from me, combined with super hot temps last week, etc.

So, I just added 4gallons of bleach after brushing and vacuuming, and it started to rain. It's supposed to rain all weekend. :(

Should I continue to keep adding bleach and SLAM in the rain? I don't want to waste my time and my bleach. LOL

Have you thought about bringing that CYA down? You're not running a SWG and there is no reason to run such a high CYA.

Your shock level is 31ppm of FC. 4 gallons (assuming 10%) only added 16ppm of FC to your pool ... barely half of what you need to get to shock level to start the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. Then you need to maintain the FC at 31ppm until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

After adding 6 gallons total, I'm up to 33FC (I forgot where I started, but it wasn't 0). It's raining pretty hard and getting dark, so I think I'll have to see where I am in the morning and go from there.

Have you thought about bringing that CYA down? You're not running a SWG and there is no reason to run such a high CYA.

Yes. :p I've not been positive on my testing technique though, thought I was around 60 before another big rain, therefore I assumed after the rain I'd be good. Evidently not. I should have done the dilution from the get go. Once this is all cleared up I'm going to check it again. BUUUT, in a few weeks we will be out of town for a week and I'm not sure what I'm going to do besides pucks in the auto feeder. :/

If you're going to use pucks in the auto feeder, I highly suggest you get the CYA down pronto!

Things are not going so well for you because you are not SLAMming the Pool. It seems like most folks who's slam is drawn out or failing is because they have taken shortcuts and processes that were a bit more convenient to do than what's written in the article.

I'm sorry it sounds preachy, but if you really want the SLAM to perform as advertised you must follow that article to a T. No exceptions to the techniques. The affect of rain on a pool (or a SLAM) is virtually insignificant.

So, is the SLAM supposed to occur through the night? I never slammed before because I never had algae before. I'm a little confused.

I'll continue with what I've done today...

At 950 this morning, my FC was 21. I added 4 gallons and got it to 40 FC at noon. At 140, it's still 40. CC is zero.

I'm going to check levels a few more times today and do the OCLT tonight- is that correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When does it start? It started yesterday. Six replies/answers in 24 hours is very helpful.

As far as your post #8 about a SLAM continuing through the night, maintain means maintain. If you don't maintain the SLAM level of CL through the night you'll give algae a chance to overcome the CL.

When does it start? It started yesterday. Six replies/answers in 24 hours is very helpful.

As far as your post #8 about a SLAM continuing through the night, maintain means maintain. If you don't maintain the SLAM level of CL through the night you'll give algae a chance to overcome the CL.

Thank you. Reposting the SLAM link, which I have read repeatedly, isn't the most helpful thing I've see on here. And I was confused, because I've never seen anyone talk about burning the midnight oil through this process.

You test when you can for the SLAM process, at the start every 1-2 hours helps, but as the process goes on you will see that the FC does not drop as fast. That said, no one expects you to set an alarm every 2 hours to wake up or stay up all night.

If you read the SLAM article is says "Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day." So you could get 12 hours sleep and still be following that instruction.

Often when working members have to do this, it is good to start on the weekend, but during the week, they likely can only test and dose in the morning before work, right when you get home from work and then right before bed.

SLAM is a process. It takes a lot of work and careful planning to pull it off right. It requires patience that starts with not wanting instant results but with wanting to attack the problem with a good strategy. Unfortunately pool stores, pool builders and pool service companies along with chemical manufacturers have pushed the notion that healthy balanced pool water is just one bucket of "magic mix" away. They play on our need to find the immediate tactical fix as opposed to the long term strategic plan.

So, the most important thing to do when the green monster shows up is to STOP. Take a deep BREATH. And develop a PLAN.

When I decided to SLAM I decided to start on a Thursday night with wake ups every three hours (yes it was exhausting and my wife was mad at me) to check my FC levels. It was hard but by Sunday everyone was swimming in a sparkly clear pool and it's been a breeze to maintain ever since.

Well worth the wait......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.