Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG and IG Viny Linerl Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and IG Viny Linerl Pool

So I am discussing with my wife the idea of switching to a SWG but she is apprehensive that salt water is bad for a vinyl liner. After reading some pool school articles on pool liner materials and the thread about SWG I see no mention of problems with salt water pools and vinyl liners. Only thing that would prematurely corrode would be metal parts, like ladders and such? Am I correct in saying that switching to a SWG as a chlorine source should be a non-issue with a vinyl liner? We have no pool heater and AFAIK, the pipes underground are all PVC.
    Pool: 19K IG, Vinyl, grecian
    Equipment: Hayward Super Pump (1hp), Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG and IG Viny Linerl Pool

Salt will not affect the liner at all, nada, zilch. Salt is exceedingly unlikely to affect metal parts. The only thing it is at all likely to affect is natural stone work, and that only sometimes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. I will tell my wife verbatim what you said.
    Pool: 19K IG, Vinyl, grecian
    Equipment: Hayward Super Pump (1hp), Cartridge Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Salt level in a pool is actually much lower than most people expect. Ocean water has about 10 times higher concentration of salt.

It's not an issue with vinyl liners. In my area, SWGs are quite common with vinyl pools, mine included. I would certainly choose a SWG over liquid chlorine any day.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool is vinyl and it has a SWCG since it was built about 6 years ago. I personally cannot think of one downside to a SWCG - it is cheaper (assuming that you will spend at least $200 per year on chlorine) , the water feels better on your skin with no smell and there is much less maintenance. I have flagstone around my pool and I haven't seen the salt cause any issues with the stone. What's not to like?

(I assuming that the depreciation of a salt cell is $100/yr and other depreciation and costs, like CYA, are another $100/yr. If I am off on these costs someone let me know.)
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels