Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor change

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor change

New to the forum and loving all the great info here.
    I would like to change the motor on my Hayward super II to a more efficient one. From what I have read it looks like the 2 speed is the way to go with my caretaker system. My questions are, is there a motor that directly mounts to my pump and one that has a the two speed function built in without having to add an aftermarket toggle/switch. As you can see by my signature I live in Arizona and with the A/C running and the one speed pump my electric bill is through the roof.
    Thank you in advance.
    12,000 gallon pebble tech, caretaker 5 port,hayward super2 w/ 2hp motor,DE 48"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor change

Welcome to TFP!!!

Can you add more details from the motor plate? specifically what is the listed HP and the Service Factor (SF).
    There are certainly bolt on 2-speed motors, but I am not sure any include a switch. Easy to wire in a house 3-way light switch for that purpose or you can buy switches that go on the back of the motors.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome!
    Just started the night shift at work so I will take a picture of the data plate on the motor in the morning and post it. I looked in the how to section and did not see anything.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a picture of the motor I will be replacing.
    I also have been looking at the 2ez motor that has a built in switch and controller. I have seen other threads on here and people seem to like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

That picture is so small no one can read any of it.

To post more/larger pictures, you either need to raise your storage allotment by Becoming a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry, my kids have all available computers so I am trying to do this from a five year old phone.
    Motor model is A.O. Smith K48N2N104, 2hp,kW 1.55, volts 230,max amps10, sf 1.25

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, so you want to find a 2-speed motor that has a HP * SF = 2.5

Here is one model number you can look for: SP3015X202AZ or EB2979T (has timer and switch) or just B2979 (without timer/switch) or another round 56J frame.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you so much! Have you heard any good or bad things about the 2ez motors?

9. Back To Top    #9

I do not recall, I would have to search the forum myself ... which I will leave up to you
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Cool Re: Motor change

Thanks again