Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aeration to RAISE PH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Aeration to RAISE PH?

Split by moderator from HERE. Please do not hijack old threads and do ask questions in your own thread. Thanks, jblizzle

I'm confused by the posts regarding getting the 'Ph back up.' Isn't the purpose of aeration to lower the TA? Some posters reference adding more acid to keep the Ph down during the process, and others reference trying to increase the Ph during aeration. So should Ph be kept low and TA measured until TA is down to the correct level and then borax added to raise the Ph again.
    Atlanta, 35k Salt Water, Gunite. Sand filter. Polaris Cleaner. Waterfall.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aeration to RAISE PH?

Aeration ONLY raises the pH. Then when high acid can be added to lower the pH AND the TA. Repeat until TA is at desired level.

See: Lower Total Alkalinity
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Aeration to RAISE PH?

Quote Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
    Split by moderator from HERE. Please do not hijack old threads and do ask questions in your own thread. Thanks, jblizzle

I'm confused by the posts regarding getting the 'Ph back up.' Isn't the purpose of aeration to lower the TA? Some posters reference adding more acid to keep the Ph down during the process, and others reference trying to increase the Ph during aeration. So should Ph be kept low and TA measured until TA is down to the correct level and then borax added to raise the Ph again.
    This thread doesn't really discuss Borax... but I too was confused when I first read the page that stated how to do this... I think the writer has a different "style". Anyways, the point is to LOWER TA with Muriatic Acid and that in turn lowers PH. To get the PH back up to specification (7.5 is my understanding) you aerate the water, and repeat if the TA is still to high.

Got it?

With relation to Borax, you want a TA of 70 to do so.
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL