1600 vs 2650 SWG best choice for 16' Intex above ground?

Hi, I would like to replace the original filter pump and salt water generator (never worked well) on my 16' above ground Intex ultra frame pool. From my research it looks like the combo system from Intex is the way to go. Is the 1600 powerful enough for a 16' pool or should i go ahead and get the 2650? My pool doesn't get daily activity but I like to keep it clean for when it's needed.

When I asked on the phone Intex recommended I upgrade to the CS8111 model, not sure it that is better or close to the above mentioned models?

The other issue I have is that these pumps/chlorinators are not available in Canada. In fact, on the phone Intex told me not to buy from them directly online as it was too expensive but to find it with another company or ebay. Not having luck with ebay and amazon.com won't deliver to Canada either. I did find what seems like a good deal on vmInnovations online but don't know much about them...anyone have a recommendation on where I purchase this product (once I narrow down the model number)?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am not sure anyone who got the 2650 with sand filter regrets it. Not sure having the SWG integrated is the best option in case one piece of equipment fails.

I think there are other members who have shopped at vmInnovations, try the search feature at the upper right.

Thanks for the responses! But I'm a little confused, you both agreed to stay away from the combo yet said that the 2650 was a good item...The 2650 (and the 1600) are both "combo's" as they are both filter pump and SWG's.

This is the one I am referring to http://www.vminnovations.com/Produc...nd-Sand-Filter-Pump-Set-28681EG-56681EG-.html

Where you thinking of another filter pump that goes well with another SWG? I don't think I'll ever get a heater, it's just a small pool and rarely used so I just want something simple (and low cost) to keep it clean and I like the salt systems. Recommendations are welcome.

One other question, are the sand pumps noisier/louder than the cartridge pumps?

Last edited:
We are saying that the pump/filter/SWG combo may not be the best idea. Instead getting a 2650 (or similar) pump/filter combo and the separate SWG. I have no idea how the costs compare for these 2 systems and maybe the separate is not worth added expense.

They move more water so the motor might be a little louder.

- - - Updated - - -

For example a pump/filter: http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_8775/Intex-Kystal-Klear-Sand-Filter-2800-GPH-Pool-Pump-28647EG-56673EG-.html
and the SWG: http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_45939/Intex-Krystal-Clear-Saltwater-System-Pool-Chlorinator-28661EG-54605EG-.html

or they actually sell them in a group for less than what you posted:
http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_49030/Intex-2800-GPH-Krystal-Clear-Sand-Filter-Pool-Pump-and-Saltwater-System.html

Granted I did not compare filter and SWG sizes.

Interesting note about vminnovations. I can't buy anything through their website in Canada so I called them and they told me they sell to Canada through ebay.ca/vminnovations so I went to that site. It's on the Canadian ebay site, with prices in Canadian as well as US$ but all the products say "does not ship to Canada - no exceptions". So I called the company back figuring there must be a mistake and they had to check it out themselves and then apologized, apparently they can't sell to me.

Seems the only place to buy these pumps/filter/SWG's is walmart.ca for almost twice the price. And my only choice is the combo for $398...they don't sell the SWG's alone. Oh well, first world problems I can deal with. Thanks again.

My filter is the Intex 2650, but it is not a combo. But mine is about 4 years old so perhaps the newer models are combos. I am going to look on the Walmart site to be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

This one is not a combo. How big is your pool?
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/intex-krystal-clear-2100-gph-sand-filter-pump/6000166640720

I have a 16" ultra frame and the 1600 pump/filter and a separate SWG. That pump is plenty for this size pool, but there would be no reason not to use the 2650 if you're willing to pay the difference in price. The only reason I got the smaller one is because that's what they had in stock at the time.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

A couple of things I would add for you to consider when it comes to Intex filters.

One is that Intex seems to change things from year to year. Whether its just a model number change or actual change or redesign of the product. As an example I have a 2650 16" Intex sand filter that I got 4 years ago and one I purchased this year for my brothers pool. On mine the the tank came in 2 parts, an upper and lower part held together with a metal collar. Were as the one purchased this year only has the top open where the you load the sand and the multiport valve attaches. Otherwise the two systems have the same overall specs for sand capacity and pump size.

Next is that sellers seem to list the same units with different descriptions. Again an example. On Amazon the one I purchased for my brother is listed as: Intex 28651 16-Inch 3200-Gallon Sand Filter Pump. On vminnovations the same unit is listed as: Intex 2650 GPH Easy Set Sand Pool Filter Pump | 28651EG. To further confuse things Amazon shows the filter as having a 3000 GPH flow rate and vminnovations lists it as 2650 GPH. If you search for "Intex 28651" which is the 16" sand filter you will find many different descriptions including 3200, 3000 and 2650 in both standalone and combo units.

From real world experience I've found that the flow rate is more in the range of 2000 to 2200 GPH.

Sorry if this may have confused things more for you but from experience don't rely on the description but try and find the actual specs for the unit if listed.

All that said mine has work extremely well for the last 4 seasons and would recommend it for your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My filter is the Intex 2650, but it is not a combo. But mine is about 4 years old so perhaps the newer models are combos. I am going to look on the Walmart site to be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

This one is not a combo. How big is your pool?
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/intex-krystal-clear-2100-gph-sand-filter-pump/6000166640720

Thanks for the help! My pool is a 16' x 48" AG...5623 gallons (I just updated my signature with that info). This is my second Bestway SWG actually, took the first one back after 1 month, didn't matter what the salt level in the pool (even a perfect level) it would never stop flashing low salt. Now I have the same problem with the one I've been trying to run for 3 summers, I've had to do the vinegar soak many times as I have hard water. Emptied it out completely last fall and filled it up with purchased city water this June. Salt level reads 4500 after only 3 bags of salt...SWG reads "low salt" and refuses to work. I figured that I've cleaned it too much and maybe it's wrecked now. I'm also guessing that going to a sand filter is a better idea to get more flow going but I still don't think it's going to make my 3 year old Bestway SWG work so thought I'd just get the two units together. Figuring since I've had so much trouble with the other one fowling up that I shouldn't get a filter pump/SWG combo because the filter pump will probably outlast the SWG since I do top my pool up with my own well water...a $300 truckload doesn't quite fill it.

Anyway, sorry for the long story, I really have no idea what I'm doing with this pool, thought if I explained it you could tell me if I was wrong or kinda on the right track :) So far this month I've been adding chlorine since the SWG isn't working so I'd really like to order a new system ASAP. Thanks again for the advice and shopping help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.