Hi, my name is Collee and I'm a pool maintenance neophyte.

Collee

Jul 13, 2014
Long Island, NY
First and foremost, I have enjoyed reading all the invaluable information (although dizzying) on this site. I am amazed at how friendly, supportive and encouraging all the members are and I am excited to join the TFP club.

I have a 16x36 IG vinyl pool with a loop loc cover which hasn't been open in 4yrs (i know, i know...feel free to shake your heads and yell..i deserve it). Pool was opened at the end of June and although the water was surprisingly clearer (light green and murky) than I thought it was going to be, the years of dirt and debris that accumulated on the bottom was quite discouraging. The coping was also detached in some areas. Shock and chlorine was added to clear water and coping was fixed. Pool was power vac 2x and I am proud to report that the water is now a clear(ish) and blue(ish).

After reading many threads and articles on this site, I ordered the TF-100 and SpeedStir on Tuesday. However, for the time being I am forced to test water with the PS guys.

Here are my numbers as of this morning

FAC and TAC - 5 (could very well be higher but PS readings cap at 5)
pH - 7.4
TA - 90
CYA - 30
CH - 150
TDS - 350
Phos - 0

I am going to throw my lil man (dolphin) in to hopefully clean the the leftover particles after power vac last night but pool will most likely need another power vac in the next couple of days.

PS recommended 4lbs conditioner (leave filter running 24hrs) and in 48hrs, 15lbs of hardness. If power vac is to be done in next couple of days, do I bother adding the chemicals now or just wait until after power vac.

In anticipation to convert to the TFPC method, I currently have the following chemicals on hand;
(4) 121oz jugs of 8.25% bleach
(2) 4lbs 12oz boxes of Borax
(4) 4lb boxes of baking soda

Leftover PS chemicals;
8lbs conditioner
45lb Hardness Plus

Would love to hear your thoughts of what is really needed based on the above number readings. I am going to attempt to post pics so please be patient and stay tuned.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Another victim of taking the (no longer used) BBB name too literal. Given you results, you may never need baking soda or borax.

You do not need CH in a vinyl pool, so no point in adding that.

No need to do anything until your TF-100 arrives and you can post up the test results. You will likely need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Im not sure why you would need more "hardness" in a vinyl pool.... So I would probably skip that.
If you don't need the borax or baking soda for they pool, they aren't wasted. They are great for laundry and cleaning.

Thanks so much for the replies. The TA level was low the other day so I made good use of 3 of the BS boxes (i bought 7 in total). Before asking more questions (again thanks for your help and patience) I am going to attempt to post pics. Can only post 2 due to quota???
#1 - first opened after 4yrs
#2 - Mon - After 1 power vac, coping fixed

527.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

• 648.jpg
    648.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 304
Congrats and welcome to the forum! We'll get you fixed in no time. You definitly will need to do the SLAM process. Plan on getting at least a dozen bottles of bleach, 2 ain't gonna cut it. The TF100 should be there soon, in the mean time, start getting the organic matter off the bottom. That stuff will eat your chlorine faster than you can get it in there. Run filter/pump 24/7. Read up on SLAM and OCLT.

Thanks Zimm. I have been brushing on and off all day but the stains are still present. I assume (although one never should) that they are organic since the pool hasn't been opened in 4yrs.

Any advice on how to remove? I know vitamin c is for metal stains but I might give it a shot.

Collee, Welcome to TFP :wave:

You can get rid of the organic staining by running a slightly higher FC level than the normal for your CYA level. It will take time and weekly brushing. It took 4 years to stain the liner, it make take months to lift the stains. Be patient with the process.

May I ask why you left the pool go for so long?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree also....fabulous looking pool! Welcome to TFP! Try not to get ahead of yourself by dumping products in the pool until you can really understand what they will do. Reading through our Pool School several times will help tremendously! http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/
You are going to love being able to test your water accurately and knowing what you need to do to your pool to keep it looking sparkly! You are getting great advice Collee, stay the course because I can't wait to see pics of your pool all cleaned up!

Sorry for my absence and thanks so much for all the encouraging comments. I bought a jug of Vitamin C tabs and scrubbed the sides yesterday. WOW!!!! Unfortunately the Vitamin C test did nothing for the stains on the bottom. Going to lay a puck over a heavly stained area and test to see if it lifts.

Woke up this morning to find that my TF100 arrived. WOO HOO!!! Be patient as this is going to be a learning curve for me. Stay tuned for numbers and lots of questions.

Casey - pool wasn't opened for 4yrs because I traveled a lot (weeks at a time) to FL in the summers and well, yeah....it just wasn't opened. No real good excuse.

Hey MBG75! Where are you located? I'm north shore, suffolk.

I'm Northport

Ok, here are results (i performed all) using the TF100

CL 1
Ph 7.2
FC 2.5
CC .25
TC 2.75
CYA - perfomed 2x, filled to 20 and could still see (although a but cloudy) black dot. Did a search on the forums and learned that test is to be performed in direct sunlight with back to sun. Ugh! Skies are cloudy now so I will wait until later to retest.
TA 110
CH 150

I know I need to raise the FC and the Ph but seeking advice on goal numbers (5 and 7.6)????

Thanks in advance for your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.