Hi, my name is Collee and I'm a pool maintenance neophyte.

Cyanuric Acid: aka Conditioner or Stabilizer. I've only used the powder or granular as the liquid is just too expensive and not locally available.

I'm just concerned on what size pool you are going with after MBG75 saying his is similar to your size and calculates 25K but is a 21K for dosing. With a couple bleach or acid additions you can pretty much tell if you're high or low on your pool size as you consistently overdose or under dose it and can just go in 1K increments until your dose makes sense with your goal.
Being it's CYA I just don't want to overshoot it and cause you problems or $$ in extra bleach.

Using poolmath @ 21, 000gallons with a current CYA of 19 and goal of 30, I added 32oz (4 cups) of conditioner via nylon socks hung over jets. Conditioner is now totally dissolved and I tested again.

Cl - 2
ph 7.2
FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5
TA 70
CYA (i know it wont be an accurate reading but it's definitely increasing as the black dot was quite hazy at 20)

Ok, am I ready to slam or is more adjusting needed. What should my target FC be? I am assuming 10 if CYA is still reading 20.

You added stabilizer. Assume CYA is 30. Start slamming at FC-12.

Test FC 30min after adding bleach. See if target was hit.
Then try to maintain it at 12 as much as possible.
Brush as often as you can.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406146290.448025.jpg

Not so fast kimkats. Deciding whether to start the SLAM tonight or wait until morning. I am going out at 7:30pm and won't be home to test again until about 11pm and then bed at 12am. Should I just run filter since I added the conditioner today and wait for tomorrow so that I can be around to babysit the SLAM?

I am not sure I follow. I would raise the FC up to near shock level and yes run the filter, test and/or add the FC again at 11PM, final test at 12, then test first thing in the morning.

ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD she is off! It is algae at the starting gate, but chlorine is right behind! Lets see who wins this race!

When battling a pool you need to have a sense of humor. :goodjob:

Yes, start NOW. Do your best to stay ahead of the falling FC :shark:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Target was FC 12. I added the specified 312oz (almost 3 121 oz jugs) of 8.5% bleach at 6pm last night.

Tested at
7:30pm, FC - 18
12am - 17.5
11am - 13

Since my target was/is FC 12. Should I wait for it to drop and then maintain at that level?

ETA: water clear, brushed walls and bottom. all stains still present.

Yes, you do not usually want to go that much over the shock level ... maybe the pool volume is smaller than you think?

Also, 11AM is a little late for the morning portion of an OCLT.

When you calculated how much chlorine to add to get to 12 did you enter what the pools FC was already at and added from there to 12 or did you possibly go zero to 12 for the addition ??

Next time you make an addition know where you're starting from and then add the bleach and with the pump running give it 30 minutes to mix and test again. If you are still overshooting the FC than the pool is likely smaller and it would be best to try and recalculate how much water is in there.

I know I should have been more disciplined with the testing but had to rush out this morning and didn't have time to test until returning home at 11am. I am going to test every couple of hours today and be on brush duty.

Used the Speedstir this morning. LOVE it. I am thinking maybe earlier testing using the manually swirl method might not have been as accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

When you calculated how much chlorine to add to get to 12 did you enter what the pools FC was already at and added from there to 12 or did you possibly go zero to 12 for the addition ??

I calculated with current FC of 2, target 12.

No problems, just need more info to try and narrow down what your volume is. Are you presently using 21K ??

I kind of thought that speedstir was gimmicky but it does work great ;)

2pm - 12

Hit target. Going to test again in a few hours.

Although unnecessary, I tested CYA and i'ts 30! Woo Hoo!

On a side note, I also tested TA (again just curious) and it's 90. I'm wondering if I am testing incorrectly. Instructions state record when color changes from green to red. I'm recording once color changes from a light pink to a brighter pink. Should color be a true red?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.