Hi, my name is Collee and I'm a pool maintenance neophyte.

I wouldn't worry about the CYA test. If it's so low you're filling the tube up now to try and obscure the dot with brighter light you'll just see the black dot better.

The experts please correct and mistakes I make.

Once you start the SLAM process. Test FC and CC multiple times a day till pool passes 3 criteria.

Filter stays on 24/7

Use bleach or liquid shock.

Get some stabilizer in the pool. Once you add stabilizer. Wait a week before retesting CYA, and Maintain the shock level for the CYA you are targeting.

Brush the pool as often as you can while slamming.

Post here with updates as often as you can. Pics help too

Such as
FC-....
Cc-....
Added.....oz's

You got it. You don't have to test CC 's every time you test FC level. You can wait till you into the process some.
Just make sure to maintain the SLAM level as best you can. The longer it's at SLAM level the quicker the process goes. ?

At first your pool will eat bleach like crazy so test once an hour if you can or as often as you can. As you keep adding, testing and adding you will see your FC level start to stay higher and higher and you can adjust your testing accordingly to every couple hours or .... but at least twice a day. If you need to go a little over the target SLAM FC level it will help at first to keep it from not dropping as far below SLAM. You want to maintain the SLAM FC level as best you can to have the quickest and easiest and least expensive time of it.

Wanted to provide an update.....

I am somewhat at a standstill now. I was going to start the SLAM this weekend but pool guy was going to do another power vac and since I would lose water I just added a few bottles of bleach to increase TC but did not want to overkill. Pool guy cancelled but is coming today. Once powervac is done, I am going to retest numbers and start the SLAM. I scrubbed the walls with a sock filled with Vitamin C and the stains lifted but it didn't work for the stains on the bottom so they must be organic.

Pool water is totally clear (WOO HOO) but has a green tinge to it at deep end where most of the stains are. I'll post numbers once pool guy comes and completes power vac.

As of Sunday

Cl 5
pH 7.2
FC 5
CC .5
TC 5.5
TA 90
CYA still less than 20 as the black dot was visible

You might want to bring that CYA up a bit before you start you slam so your chlorine is eating algae and not being eaten by the sun. I'd add enough to bring it up 10 so you're closer to 30.

It's best if you tell us what gallon pool you have.

16X36 feet but how many inches of water when it's full ?? If the pool came with a volume that would be great otherwise using the calculator in Pool Math is next best. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Then use Pool Math to enter the volume and use 18-20 for present CYA and 30 for goal and you should be around 27oz by volume. That is an educated guess so please don't just toss in 27oz and hope for the best :hammer:

If you end up too far below or above post your numbers for a double check. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Best guess is about 27,500 because Im not sure of depth. Pool guy done with power vac. Water filling. Should be good to test in a couple of hours when water level is back up. Again, the water is totally clean just not totally blue due to stained bottom. I am determined to fight through this and keep my head held high.

I guessed 48" when I did the math and it was 27K gal so if you're happy with 27K you can toss 27oz in a sock and go for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.