Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Learning here! Can I get your opinion?

1. Back To Top    #1

Learning here! Can I get your opinion?

We have had a pool for the last 7 years and I have always been in charge of vacuuming and swimming, lol. My husband left for an out of town for business and I had to take care of the pool. The night before he left we discovered algae. So after a very long week of researching and dumping in chemicals I found this forum and was able to get rid of the algae. I ordered my K-2006 kit off amazon and got it the next day so I could get started. I did exactly what I learned and I am proud to say we will no longer be frequenting the pool store, my husband is totally on board. My question is I seem to be losing a lot of chlorine and wanted to make sure I am doing things right, so here's my latest reading. We lose anywhere between 2-4ppm per day of chlorine. Now I will say we have had a lot of sunshine, even though it's been cooler here in the last 2 weeks.

PH 7.4
    FC 8.5
    CYA 70
    TA 170
    CC 130

We did drain about 6" of water 2 weeks ago and the CYA came down from 100 to 70. My PH has been between 7.6 and 7.4 steady.
    22k gallons AG 30ft round, Hayward 2 speed 2hp motor, cartridge filter, Aquabot Rover Jr, Sunheater solar heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Learning here! Can I get your opinion?

You might want to get your cya down to 40-50 70 is okay if you have a swg. 2 and maybe even 4 ppm FC losses daily isn't out of the norm (2-2.5) losses is completely normal here in SC
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

A 2-4ppm loss is pretty normal. Although with the higher CYA, I would have expected on the lower end.

Did you pass the OCLT when you got rid of the algae? Has the FC dropped too low since then?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I passed the OCLT once I got rid of the algae and my water has never looked better. It just seems like we are using a lot of bleach. I have been cleaning the filter twice a week and I haven't had to clean the pool but once a week. I used to spend all my time vacuuming, that has gotten better since the Aquabot but even now it's only once a week and that's just because I feel like I should.
    22k gallons AG 30ft round, Hayward 2 speed 2hp motor, cartridge filter, Aquabot Rover Jr, Sunheater solar heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Not related, but likely no reason to clean the filter so ofter. We recommend cleaning when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Once you have a clean pool ... the maintenance can become downright boring with nothing to do besides
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Gosh, I love to be bored! !
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I guess I just got stuck in the mindset that I should always be doing something to the pool or I would lose it. We have fought algae at least twice a season for the last 3 years. I hope now that I have found you guys I never have to deal with it again. 5 mins everyday is so worth it to me!

8. Back To Top    #8

Look at this! Someone who is a quick learner! Had a problem, read TFP, ORDERED good test kit without even being told to! WOW!

Great job!

Wait until you see how much money you end up saving!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you!! I am a research kind of girl. I would rather spend my time getting it right the first time, rather than waste precious time and money. Now I am completely addicted to checking our water and reading the forums here. It's funny because the other day the water wasn't sparkly enough and I told my husband our numbers are off and sure enough checked it and PH was a little high and FC was low. I have learned so much from this site, a month ago I never paid attention to pool because it was my husbands job. Let me tell you the hours I put into getting it back from the algae changed my mindset going forward. I just wish I would have known about TFP years ago. We are getting ready to drain the hot tub and utilize what we know from here in there too.