PB outside of Boston

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
Hello!

I live in outside of Boston MA and am in the planning stages of building a pool. I am looking into either fiberglass or vinyl. At first I was leaning towards fiberglass, but now I am not so sure. I have been mainly talking with one fiberglass company, Cherry Hill, and three vinyl companies, Pools by Andrews, Central Pool and Spa, and Easton Pool and Spa. Cherry Hill is also getting back into vinyl installation as thats what they started installing years ago, so I guess that would make 4 builders I am talking to with vinyl.

I am having problems finding a fiberglass shell that both my wife and I agree on, and one that will work in our space so vinyl maybe the winner. However fiberglass is not ruled out just yet.

Who are the best vinyl builders in this area? Is there anyone I have left out? In this region of the country which vinyl structure is best? Of the builders I have been speaking with all 4 of them do their builds different, and wouldn't you know it that their way is the best.

I like the idea of a SWG so I am a little worried about steel and rusting over time. One builder is using polymer wall with compact sand bottom. That seems like you could easily get water pockets under the liner. Another company pushes permacrete, but after price and along with the hard surface, you might as well get gunite which I cannot stand. One builder uses steel walls, vermiculite bottom, with padding over all surface then lined. The last builder uses steel walls, cement bottom, then lined. Which is best for this part of the country?

Price, the permacrete is by far the most expensive, and I am not too interested so I have more less ruled that company out. The other companies seem pretty consistent in price. My yard is on a slope where a good portion of it was filled in by the previous owner. I either need to fill in the rest, or remove the fill. I have been told that you should never build a pool on fill, even if its been there for several years. In addition to the pool, there is the fence work, retaining walls, landscape, decking, patio, etc, so this is not a cheap project. My wife and I are fine with doing it in stages if need be.

Thank you all for reading, and I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Good luck with your build! No experience there, but if you're in that area, I hope you don't hit rock!

In any event, I just wanted to comment that I grew up in NY Metro area, and the ONLY pools I ever went in had vinyl liners...except public pools, which were all rough concrete. Now that I am in TX, everyone uses a gunnite pool with plaster...and I love it!

So I had a conversation yesterday with a potential builder. Their company uses steel walls. They do put padding over the walls though. I told him I was a little worried of steel wall corrosion and a SWG which is what I want. His reply was, "Chlorine is Chlorine, no matter what system you use in your pool if the liner gets a rip or tear your steel walls will get rust." He was almost making it sound like everyone using steel walls gets rust at some point or another if there is a leak. The walls are backed by a lifetime guarantee, but I am sure there is fine print about misuse and chemical issues. However, is this really an issue as the walls are covered with padding? He did make it clear that the padding was more for comfort than rust and corrosion. I was always under the impression is was the high salt content causing the corrosion, not the chlorine. Was his chlorine is chlorine just a sales pitch, or is there some truth in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.