Two questions: semi rigid solar covers in Canada? Or, diy'ing solar cover to float

We just survived a long, stressful installation for a semi-above ground pool (yes, a simple pool, but a wet yard and clay proved to be a big challenge), and some issues with our contract (we thought we bought a gas heater - turns out we didn't, etc).

I love modifying things to suit our needs and have spent a lot of time thinking about how best to cover the pool - safely. We have kids, cats and dogs, all have access to the pool to some degree - though the pool is half out of the ground at the moment.

I have really enjoyed reading such clever ideas on this forum - for weighting the steps, etc - and figure that people here would be best suited to provide suggestions!

On the web, I've seen some solar covers, in Europe, that appear to be rigid - they are pvc slats, floats on the water. The advantage is that they can hold some weight and won't wrap around the person/pet that has fallen into the pool.

I haven't found anything like that for sale for a non-automatic reel system, in N. America. Anyone know of a product sold here?

Another thought that I had, after seeing one of the member's knee highs/foam ball/cover idea, was to create a cover that has some sort of buoy attached.....maybe attaching long pool noodles across the cover, with enough space between the rows to allow the cover to be folded/rolled? Has anyone tried something like that? Not sure that it would help a pet very much, but a person would have a foam noodle to hold onto/push away from?

If no to both those ideas, we might try those big rings as a means to reduce the evaporation - darn cold in the pool without a source of heat - every degree gained (or at least, not lost) helps!

Thanks!

Chloe'sMom~ Welcome to TFP!

I have to tell you that my boxer puppy just learned that he loves our pool and he can get to it right now if I leave him out of his fenced in yard. He's crazy! I have a solar cover that I cut in 4 pieces but I fold it, fold it, fold it up when we use the pool and then unfold each piece when we're done. I don't know of any rigid solar cover in N America that would hold the weight of a human, or at the least, a child. If you do decide to come up with something, post it up so we can read about it. :goodjob:

Here is an example of the rigid pool cover - I've only seen ones in Australia (as well as parts of the US) being associated with inground, automatic covers. But have seen reference to manual ones, in France.....hmmmm....Maybe they don't do much for solar heating, but gosh, they look much easier to use, on a daily basis, as a cover/safety cover!

http://www.acair.com/poolcovers.html

http://www.earthsave.com.au/3-safety-cover-types/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.