If you are 2 to 3 inches out of level the pool is not going to collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2012
MA
If you are 2 to 3 inches out of level the pool is not going to collapse. If these pools collapsed that easily they would not sell them. You will hear many post here telling you that the sky is falling. People say things enough times and it makes it true. I wonder if anyone has ever had first hand knowledge of an Intex pool collapsing because it was 3 inches out of level. Not that you heard it from your sisters brothers cousin, actual first hand knowledge.

Re: Unlevel Intex Ultra Metal Frame Pool!

If you are 2 to 3 inches out of level the pool is not going to collapse. If these pools collapsed that easily they would not sell them. You will hear many post here telling you that the sky is falling. People say things enough times and it makes it true. I wonder if anyone has ever had first hand knowledge of an Intex pool collapsing because it was 3 inches out of level. Not that you heard it from your sisters brothers cousin, actual first hand knowledge.

LOL... I agree sort of... Mine is far from perfectly level, and I wound up digging under the high "sides" using a trenching shovel and was actually able to level the pool pretty well. It was not fun, but beat losing $300 worth of water.

Like I said I do agree these pools are probably more sturdy than we think, but I have seen quite a few videos on youtube and pictures where the pools have failed.

Now, the question that remains is what ELSE happened besides just being off level? I do believe in certain cases the weight of the water could cause a seam failure. I also think a bit of engineering and testing went into these pools so they are probably pretty sturdy and can only take so much abuse.

I wouldn't want to find out how much though. :D

In this case, it sounds like fill dirt and sinking are the problem, and depending on how bad it really is (the one photo looks bad) it probably is a good idea to re-level.

From what I recall about the rectangular pools, you cannot jack them up due to the legs on those being in the way.

Pools do collapse because they are out of level, it happens quite frequently. I'm not saying that a pool that is 2" out of level is certain to collapse, but it is over 100 times more likely to collapse than if it was level, and those odds get worse very quickly as it gets more out of level. Meanwhile, the amount of damage a pool can do if it does collapse can be very dramatic.

There is an industry standard for how out of level a pool can be and still be safe of 1". When you install a pool more out of level than that and something does go wrong, odds are your insurance won't pay for any damages.

And why would you intentionally put the users of said pool in danger with an out of level pool?

May as well throw the kids in and go watch a soap opera... They may drown or not.

No first hand experience, I have an inground. Just another opinion from someone who has read about AG installs that have had problems due to not being level and seen their photos.

The good thing is I live on 5 acres so I don't have to worry about someone who doesn't level their pool. How far out of level is too far ?? I have first hand experience of having a guy I work with die from working at home under his car without jackstands, a mechanic. There is a reason they tell you to level the pool but I'm sure some people just toss them up and they are fine. Some toss them up and see a problem and have to redo it. Sure hope if someone does just toss one up "close" to level they are one of the ones that it works out just fine for them. If not, I hope they have good insurance.

I sure wouldn't want to be this guys neighbor if we were in the city where the houses are close :ncool: Worse yet, I wouldn't want his child or mine in that pool when that wall failed with all that water pushing then into a brick wall. IMHO Spending a day leveling a pool might look a whole lot better than someones kids laying in a hospital :safe:

Attachments

• 14970839_BG1.jpg
    14970839_BG1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 548
And where are your studies and information backing up your point? You seem to want TFP to offer evidence for advice given while offering nothing to back up your opinion. To say that you do not understand something does not make that thing a myth.

It is like driving a 3 ton vehicle over a bridge with a 2 ton weight limit. Did they lie about the weight limit, or did you just get lucky?

From myHTC One via Tapatalk

I would also like to add that most Intex users seek out TFP because their pools are NOT level and they want to know if they can get away will a wobbling pool wall, one leg higher than the rest, sinking pool legs, bowed legs and a water difference of 3" or more.

The simple answer is NO! They can not and they should not get away with it.

If you spend the money (I don't care how much it is) because you want a pool, put it up right!

Again, not that I recommending putting a pool extremely out of level, but just as an example...

I have a tandem axle landscape trailer that is rated at 3500LBS. The SAME exact trailer but with trailer brakes it rated much higher, closer to 6000LBS if I recall.

Point being, the trailer can handle the weight, but it becomes more dangerous and requires additional safety measures to compensate. Most times products are engineered to withstand higher amounts of strain due to the fact that end users always push the limits and they tell you what you can "SAFELY" expect from the product with the hope you listen.

This is why some people (inquiring minds) want to know if they are "safe". I've been on that side of the fence.... but I wouldn't tell people that they can expect to be safe. They could get hit by a bus crossing the street. Anything is possible. The pool could stay up for years, it could dump tomorrow. Who knows.

Just depends on the risk people are willing to accept I suppose. They come here in search of making that decision. It is wise to tell them to err on the side of caution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I can guarantee that an 18' Intex Easy Set (inflatable ring type) WILL collapse. All it takes is some kid pulling lightly on the low end and the whole thing empties out in a few seconds. No damage was done however. And it was less than 3" out.

Reactions: JCofran

I can guarantee that an 18' Intex Easy Set (inflatable ring type) WILL collapse. All it takes is some kid pulling lightly on the low end and the whole thing empties out in a few seconds. No damage was done however. And it was less than 3" out.

Yeah those are EASY to dump... should be re-named EZ-SPILL POOL LOL :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.